How to 'design in' the retrofit of AirCon?

We are in that inevitable situation of not being able to 'assume in' everything we want due to the budget. Obvious bits like driveways & externals are less of an issue at adding in years to come...but AirCon is one I am looking for ideas on.

I am confident we will want it one day, so I am keen to try and ensure the fitment of it at a later date (post build) is as easy as possible...but the challenge is I don't know how to do this?

The build is a mono-pitch bungalow, rendered on the outside. Most of the rooms requiring A/C I can imagine logic places where the internal/external unit would go, some needing longer runs, others just outside the wall.

I assume install electrics to the point where the internal unit would go? Stick a concrete pad where the external should go. Should/Can I install pipework and cap it off at both ends? Can this be done without huge cost/impacting the envelope of the house too much?

Has anyone tried this before?

many thanks,

A bungalow, if it has conventional ceilings (i.e not all rooms vaulted up to the ridge) then you have plenty of easy scope for adding new wiring and piping in to any room in the future.

Alternatively what heating system are you planning?  If an air source heat pump, then choose one that can do cooling (most can) and you are half way there already.

In our bungalow we recently installed the air to water ASHP. We were told that it will produce cooling down to 7C and that if we put it through the radiators at a temperature below 18C it would cause condensation on the rads.

Manufacturer was right.

Using worst case scenario: 

Now we are working on installing water coils in the MVHR ducts. This is not so easy as you might think!  Running 7C water through a 45C loft can cause condensation along the pipes supplying the water let alone the outside of the air ducts. The exhaust air from the rooms would be about 21C passing again through the 45C loft could cause condensation on the outside of the duct.

Yes we have the 20mm Domus insulation but by my calculations this is not enough.

Yes, likewise! We will suffer from solar gain due to large windows overlooking our south facing garden. Can't not do it....but will need to look at AirCon (active air & UFH passive) to reduce the impact my gut tells me.

5 hours ago, Andehh said:

Yes ASHP into UFH - not sure I know how that could be used to cool?

MHRV designed in as well.

Bungalow ceilings will all be vaulted to the roofline unfortunately! 

Some find just cooling the UFH slab works well.  Other alternatives are a duct heater / cooler to introduce cooled air to the MVHR system, or fan coil units in the main rooms that want cooling.  The important thing is if you have an ASHP that will do cooling, you need nothing else outside.

Thanks, my original hope was a way of installing the pipework & electrics for a split system... Then getting someone to simply connect it up at each end when we can afford to install it.... Is that possible? 

42 minutes ago, Andehh said:

Thanks, my original hope was a way of installing the pipework & electrics for a split system... Then getting someone to simply connect it up at each end when we can afford to install it.... Is that possible? 

Yes and it is something we have discussed with the AC company. If we go that route I can take photos of what is required but I can’t help at the moment with what needs to be done to achieve it. 

Go for a loft mounted central ducted unit and take ducts to rooms, less disruption.

power goes to the out door unit and this then feeds the indoor unit, so this needs a route for pipework and cable.

handy if there is a waste water connection in the loft for the condensate, maybe a strap on boss connector to the soil stack?