Service void with running board for vaulted ceiling

We are looking to vault the ceiling in our property and so looking to get a qualified electrician to sort out the mess of cables running though the loft.

DSC_0046.thumb.JPG.ae5bdbb1c498bdad37734e63a3827979.JPG

As we're considering having a service void just below the main ridge, is it compliant to put a timber running board on the rafters next to the ridge and have an electrician secure the cables to it? Found this image but I suspect it's US rather than UK.

running-board.png.2c6fd0b9520e5ea969777db7b7636656.png

There will be a lot of rewiring there, most will not just be long enough to re route.

Create a proper service void with battens at least 25mm deep before the plasterboard goes on and all the cables run in there.  Don't go drilling every rafter.

I assume a ridge beam is being installed to allow the roof structure to alter?

7 minutes ago, ProDave said:

There will be a lot of rewiring there, most will not just be long enough to re route.

Create a proper service void with battens at least 25mm deep before the plasterboard goes on and all the cables run in there.  Don't go drilling every rafter.

I assume a ridge beam is being installed to allow the roof structure to alter?

Thanks Dave. Yes pretty much a full rewire and loads of cables which are no longer in use there. 

In terms of the void thinking along the lines of this where the triangular bit at the top is effectively for all the cables etc but all plastered.

beams.jpeg.9fbabc0c2e71407a9521f93714498a7f.jpeg

All existing timber to remain in place as a "feature", or replaced with more decorative structural oak

Edited by tvrulesme