Loooking for help with PV

Mike_scotland

Hello, 

We have full planning for our house but have thought in recent weeks we want to add solar PV, but our architect has approached the planner and hes being awkward saying the roof will be too busy with solar panels.so basically its a no.

We feel hes being super awkward as once the house is built we can put panels on without planning anyway.... the council are always pushing renewables around here but making it super hard to have them!!

Any advice? 

If you're not in an AONB you'll have PD for a 4kW system once you've moved in.

Can you wait, or do you want an in-roof system?

Otherwise stick in an amendment a see if they've really got the guts to refuse. As long as you are sensible I think they'll back down or risk loosing at Appeal.

Put all the cabling in as part of the build, get completion and then do the PV, that’s what I’m doing on my mates house, council not happy with PV panels and other things so humouring them to get planning and will  do it afterwards.

9 hours ago, IanR said:

not necessarily, a lot of planning permissions specially exclude future PD rights. 

I'd fit them anyway and take it to appeal if they are stupid enough to enforce against you.

Cretins do seem to be drawn to public sector jobs.

• Like 1

We're in a highly visible location in a conservation area, but still got a full roof of solar into the planning approval. We went with GBSol RIS full roof with no tiles at all, so it actually looks less "busy" than a plain tiled roof, but I think we could have got away with a GSE style of in roof tray system too.

One thing we did is cite the Local Neighborhood Plan that conveniently had been revised a month before and said that the planner's default position should be in favour of sustainable developments and measures, i.e. so the onus is on the planner to explain why it's not in the community's interest to approve it.

1 hour ago, joth said:

We're in a highly visible location in a conservation area, but still got a full roof of solar into the planning approval. We went with GBSol RIS full roof with no tiles at all, so it actually looks less "busy" than a plain tiled roof, but I think we could have got away with a GSE style of in roof tray system too.

One thing we did is cite the Local Neighborhood Plan that conveniently had been revised a month before and said that the planner's default position should be in favour of sustainable developments and measures, i.e. so the onus is on the planner to explain why it's not in the community's interest to approve it.

any pics of your roof, the 'infinty' type roofs do look good. How may kw did you end up with ?

Edited by Dave Jones

12 hours ago, IanR said:

Can you wait, or do you want an in-roof system?

Otherwise stick in an amendment a see if they've really got the guts to refuse. As long as you are sensible I think they'll back down or risk loosing at Appeal.

Hi Ian,

we wanted the in roof system. so it would mean lifting slates to put in, its borderline ridiculous lol

23 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

any pics of your roof, the 'infinty' type roofs do look good. How may kw did you end up with ?

8.1 kWp

Nothing busy about this!

Point Blur_Jun132021_174301.jpg

Edited by joth
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

What does this mean?

If you have chimneys, dormers and other odd things getting in the way, PV may not be worth it.

i have about 10 velux as my upstairs windows. i have not yet spoke to the planner that is what im going to do this week try myself to speak to him its all went through my architect up to now.
image.thumb.png.96e02a1c9670ddcfa3a64c6d847b3d87.png

2 minutes ago, Mike_scotland said:

10 velux as my upstairs windows

There are roof integrated PV mounting systems that can also take Velux windows.

Do a bit of research, i.e GSE system, and see how the module and tray sizes fit in with your design.

1 minute ago, SteamyTea said:

There are roof integrated PV mounting systems that can also take Velux windows.

Do a bit of research, i.e GSE system, and see how the module and tray sizes fit in with your design.

before i put too much effort in i wanted to get the green light from the council. and if being honest thought it wouldnt be a problem considering there all hampering on about the enviroment etc etc.

This is where there is a knowledge disconnect between local councils and modern building technology. We're in a conservation area and the planners raised concerns that some of our rear PV panels might be visible through a sliver between buildings from the road. I got the architect to send through images of black PV panels set in an in roof system. They accepted this and in fact in an amendment allowed us to put panels on a elevation that is fully visible from the road (image below).

Speak to them and put together a document with renderings of your proposed roof. They are thinking worse case of raised blue panels staggered all over the roof, not a slick black system that blends in to your roofing.

PXL_20210922_094025460_MP.jpg

Edited by Conor

8 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

looks great, do you mind sharing the cost ?

Thanks! 2 £/W for the full package inc inverter, installation, DNO & MCS paperworks. We justified the extra cost on aesthetic it brings and the cohesion it brings to the project as a whole, in the context of being the first solar install (and Enerphit) in this very conservative conservation area , not ROI of the panels in isolation.

The biggest hidden cost (not passed on to us) was all the time taken by our main contractor getting the roof plumb and true to accept it. It's not a forgiving system for a retrofit. 

@joth that looks really impressive. I can’t help but feel a pang of jealousy!

I’m hoping to build a carport with a completely solar roof and was rooting round the gb-sol website yesterday so it’s great to see a picture of your installation. Thanks for posting it. 

• Thanks 1