Zoot's septic tank..

You can make yourself a "scratching tool" by taking a scrap piece of say 3/4" ply and cutting to say 6"X 3".

Put a few screws or nails in from one side that just poke out the other side. Think "bed of nails". When firm enough but not gone off, you sort of go over your render gently and the screw tips leave scratch lines to help key the next coat.

16352429701641922081952.thumb.jpg.b8f9b82cce279ec35345b87dbfbc01e0.jpg

@Onoff great idea as per usual thx. But just seen this reply. In fact yesterday I just grabbed a big handful of cocktail sticks! Did a job.

So onto my render today to finish (me, a job in 4pgs?!). I wish they sold 5 kg of hydrated lime.. urgh I cant use 80% of a 25 kg bag assuming it wont keep in a v. moist climate. So just sand: cement alas, anyway no need for the perfect job for here.

Edited by zoothorn

Urgh.. rendering not nearly so easy.. hard to stick, a third falling off, & it's sagging down too so i got a saggy flab layer & a gap along the top. I might just be able to wing a very average job out of this now.. bit disa pointing ( clever pun).

• Haha 1

Rescued my flab a bit last evening pushed the render up & scraped some off. Bit more to do but job done really. 

An average job I think but hopefully all it needs. Thanks for the help markc especially on this. Onto the next job next week. Zoot.

F8FF19F2-4607-4732-BFDD-5F68D0F16FEC.jpeg

Edited by zoothorn
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Spot on that, less smell hopefully. You could probably pretty that up with some black concrete paint or even liquid DPM.

Yes, no more pongy pooper.. 5 years of whiff from those holes/ will be a serious improvement.

I put the idea of repairing aside as I had no idea it wouldn't be anything but remove lots of crumbling blocks, & rebuild a whole section of blockwork & then render/ daunting for me. Fantastic I've got this done at last.

Was thinking paint green to blend in. Then maybe astroturf the top.. but v.costly stuff (£150 ish just for this area ).

Edited by zoothorn