Zoot's septic tank..

Zoot..

And a bit of MVHR for all..

Are you going to be living in this place on your own? Apparently an average human produces about 4oz of feaces a day... say 5oz following a big say curry so that's about 200 -250 grammes..or 5* 50 grammes at ten minute intervals if you have cooked it yourself and not washed your hands.. never taken the time to verify by testing myself but have a reference book that covers similar, same book also has an esimate of how much "human gas" is prevelant in and average family house per person.

As it's Build Hub and in the interests of community knowledge I have copied below a paragraph from the Ground Gas Hand Book with ISBN reference for the really curious / sad. Yes this is something that you have to take into account when gas monitoring in some cases. For BH folk that were wondering about how much CO2 builds up when using MVHR systems here is a reference figure!

image.png.8a07061d09eb428819fffdaf90bdceee.png

image.png.113f4f5b681f1cbf8ea111b7472626a7.png2009

Not sure what you are going to use the cottage for but if you expect to use it as a regular home (much worse if you want to rent it out as a holiday home) with more than one or two person occupancy then don't spend too much time money on the tank lid.. the soakaway and so on is going to give you the issues... and you'll probably need to get a new modern tank.

Would be keen to hear what your doing to the rest of the cottage.

All the best and have fun with your project.

Oh technical note.. if you have the council coming round and saying they are checking for methane from mine workings then you need to look carefully to make sure they have allowed for the level of occupancy before they condem your house. It may or may not be relevant to you having to move out or not if you are border line.

Edited by Gus Potter
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Gus Potter said:

Are you going to be living in this place on your own? Apparently an average human produces about 4oz of feaces a day... say 5oz following a big say curry so that's about 200 -250 grammes..or 5* 50 grammes at ten minute intervals if you have cooked it yourself and not washed your hands.. never taken the time to verify by testing myself but have a reference book that covers similar, same book also has an esimate of how much "human gas" is prevelant in and average family house per person.

Some folk are more full of sh!t than others!

?

If you went carefully, and I mean very carefully, you could use your expanding foam gun to put some blobs here and there to keep the stacked stones in place whilst you render up against them. Remember less is more!

7 hours ago, Onoff said:

Do not use sharp sand EVER in a mortar gun! Just a cement/soft / builder's sand mix. 

https://www.screwfix.com/p/roughneck-brick-mortar-gun/67965

Huge pallaver trying to understand this sharp sand thing. Noone in town knows what it is. They just have 'builders sand' but said 3 types do come in, plasterers, builders, sharp.. call them a,b,c then: but they cant tell b from c, so just sell 'sand'. Both b and c bags look identical, or rather i cannot tell if two are different so if both are c or both b.. I cannot tell. Same with the next place jewsons. No idea what it was. Grit sand... i got even more blank faces. Tried to ask a van chap, no idea either.

So ive just bought more 'builders 'sand'. But the person did say "builders say this is a bit coarser/ dont like it" so whether its sharp of what it is I have no idea. Perhaps it is.. but it looks identical to my demerara sugar bag pic. How important it is well how do I know exactly, but, it seems important enough from the replies. Utterly bewildering!

So how can i tell if its wrong or right for a mortar gun Onoff I can't possibly know. Thx zoot

6 hours ago, Onoff said:

If you went carefully, and I mean very carefully, you could use your expanding foam gun to put some blobs here and there to keep the stacked stones in place whilst you render up against them. Remember less is more!

Good idea. But its prolly jammed solid/ i think it has tbh. But a cheapo can of foam is an idea. 

I should have 1st drilled in two pins for each base stone to rest on the far side.. dammit.

17 minutes ago, TonyT said:

Just get a trowel full of mortar and fling it at the stones, it will embed itself in the nooks and crannies.

then you can go over it with a second coat

I like TonyT's style! Well I thought of this.. but Onoff is correct in that if my stones fall ( base big flat one wedged fairly well in, smaller stuff above etc) then Ive really c*cked up hours of work. 

I was wondering about going underneath, careful as i can trowel some mortar to the base stone. But i might dislodge it.

I think foam for surety.. then a TonyT flingathon. Thanks zh

Fired in a test/ seemed poss ok/ whacked it in.. far more mortar than anticipated, but shored up the stones ok w'out foam.

Mortar's a good 1.5" deep in places tho. Will need maybe two  more goes to get the surfaces out enough to do final render layer.

How long for this 1st fairly thick layer to set? Thanks, zoot

38AF59C9-A672-4ECF-A647-BFD94742EC4A.jpeg

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Hi Onoff. 

Should i scour the surfaces sometime/ once its going off whenever that is? I think so my next layer has a key is it..

Nope, that's well "rough" enough.

Guessing you might have used the waterproof additive? Looks a nice creamy mix there. 

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

Nope, that's well "rough" enough.

Guessing you might have used the waterproof additive? Looks a nice creamy mix there. 

Yes everbuild admix a Mini splash plus 1/2 teaspoon frost stuff. 4:1 bit wetter mix to wing it in.. just staying put. 

1 hour ago, markc said:

Getting there @zoothorn these PITA jobs are all good learning exercises.

( PITA - Pain In The Ar#&)

Hi markc .. yup getting to know all about pita jobs. Cottage full of them. This mortaring today actually fine/ 1 hr done.. spot on with your flingathon. How long before I can put layer 2 on? Leave the whole wknd maybe?

Next is a stronger 3:1 'sealer' mix onto the big krispies areas. Tomorrow.

45 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Hi markc .. yup getting to know all about pita jobs. Cottage full of them. This mortaring today actually fine/ 1 hr done.. spot on with your flingathon. How long before I can put layer 2 on? Leave the whole wknd maybe?

Next is a stronger 3:1 'sealer' mix onto the big krispies areas. Tomorrow.

2nd layer will be ok after say 24 hours, actually sticks (I couldn’t spell adheres ?) better if the underlying stuff hasn’t dried out completely 

Update on patchin' up zoot's pooper..

3rd mortar layer just done, ready to seal my krispies with a 3:1 mix today. Then I guess its a layer of render ontop of the lot.

57BDDCB7-74D8-455D-B13F-8B20ADD4B4A7.jpeg

Edited by zoothorn
  • Like 1

How long to cure for the 3:1 approx 1cm krispies seal layer ( just done ) before I can I render over the whole lot?

I guess as the 3rd mortar layer is thicker it's dependent on this. A week or so? 

Getting more confident with mortar, a lovely material to work with! But I will cry if the word 'lime' is mentioned re. my final rendering.

Thanks zoot 

3 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

How long to cure for the 3:1 approx 1cm krispies seal layer ( just done ) before I can I render over the whole lot?

I guess as the 3rd mortar layer is thicker it's dependent on this. A week or so? 

Getting more confident with mortar, a lovely material to work with! But I will cry if the word 'lime' is mentioned re. my final rendering.

Thanks zoot 

Tomorrow will be ok, let the whole thing plus the render dry out slowly.

9 minutes ago, markc said:

Tomorrow will be ok, let the whole thing plus the render dry out slowly.

As early as that? Great ok markc. So my final render mix ratio would be what-? (Im hoping to goodness lime isn't mentioned!).

Terrific.. job onto last stage now.

Ideally a render will be 6:1:1 sand, cement, lime but for your job just use a 6(ish) to 1.

trowel it fairly smooth then give a brush with a hand or soft sweeping brush if you want the gritty texture finish.

Edited by markc

19 hours ago, jfb said:

If you are rendering over ideally get some scratch marks into the render you have done to give the final coat a key. Might have gone off too much by now though!

Hi jfb. Understood: Im lucky here it takes a day longer for anything to dry, clothes or mortar.. so will scratch today/ render tmrw. Thx zh