ASHP Annual Maintanence

Trex01

How important is the annual maintenance service and what’s involved in it?

Right now, it looks no different than the annual boiler service. This is what I have

·         Clean evaporator coil;

·         Check antifreeze;

·         Clean magnetic filters/strainers;

·         Remove trapped air;

·         Check primary pressure;

·         Check flow rate;

·         Check controller settings;

·         Ensure heat pump system is safe;

·       Clear debris from drip tray and ensure water is draining away correctly;

If you have an unvented cylinder then G3 servicing that annually is a legal requirement. Ideally the whole system would be checked over at that time too, although getting someone qualified in the make of heat pump might result in paying over the odds for the G3 service.

• Like 1

If your ASHP was Installed by an Improved Installer then there may be an extended warranty available, which then requires a yearly Service to maintain the extended warranty.

Nibe for instance offer a 7 year warranty if installed and maintained by an Approved Installer. Otherwise I believe it is 2 years.

As above, a UVC needs a yearly inspection anyway.

I pay £240 a year to get the whole lot done.

Edited by IanR
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, joth said:

If you have an unvented cylinder then G3 servicing that annually is a legal requirement. Ideally the whole system would be checked over at that time too, although getting someone qualified in the make of heat pump might result in paying over the odds for the G3 service.

Thanks. I was aware of the G£ requirement 

2 hours ago, IanR said:

If your ASHP was Installed by an Improved Installer then there may be an extended warranty available, which then requires a yearly Service to maintain the extended warranty.

Nibe for instance offer a 7 year warranty if installed and maintained by an Approved Installer. Otherwise I believe it is 2 years.

As above, a UVC needs a yearly inspection anyway.

I pay £240 a year to get the whole lot done.

240, thats substantially more than a boiler, for a service that looks like it just cleans and checks stuff

G3 done properly is an hour or so job, and you should cool down and drain down then restart it etc. along with checking controls. Boiler service around here is probably £80, plus £45 for a G3 so £125.

Can’t see why the service on an ASHP is more than that, I pay £350 for a Sanyo CO2 ASHP and 2 Fujitsu A2A split units including a sanitizer clean of the indoor A2A units. 

• Like 1

On 12/10/2021 at 15:25, PeterW said:

G3 done properly is an hour or so job, and you should cool down and drain down then restart it etc. along with checking controls. Boiler service around here is probably £80, plus £45 for a G3 so £125.

Can’t see why the service on an ASHP is more than that, I pay £350 for a Sanyo CO2 ASHP and 2 Fujitsu A2A split units including a sanitizer clean of the indoor A2A units. 

and do you feel the 350  is resonable or steep