Screwfix Drill/Impact Driver Twin Pack Bargains - DeWalt vs Makita

Oxbow16

22 minutes ago, pocster said:

"for women"

I should take that to the high court on sex discrimination because as a man I cannot buy that so they are discriminating.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Like feeding caviar to pigs!

Ok Gaylord ( that’s probably a banned thing to say ) ; buy the pink drill ( not a euphemism ) and pose with it you (expletive deleted) y (expletive deleted) (expletive deleted) 

Edited by pocster

2 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Anyway...back on thread, picked up my Makita drill & x2 5Ah battery kit just now. 

I need a dual charger really...

If you had gone for the pink one, for your money you would have got 3 drills, 3 batteries and 3 chargers, plus 3 sets of goggles and some drill bits.

Just saying.

Do let us know the reaction when you turn up on site with a pink drill......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As a new Makita user can I ask how the chargers work, i.e. how they sense "fully charged"?

Mu old drill sensed "fully charged" when the batteries started to warm up.  The Issue with that, was charge a battery, then give it some hard use, put it back in the charger when flat and the charger would not charge and say "full" because it was still hot and had not yet cooled down.  More than once I put my batteries in the customers freezer to force them to cool down and take some charge.  I do hope the Makita do not use that same insane system?

7 minutes ago, pocster said:

No , you need to have bought Dewalt really ???????

I am actually searching for a cheap YELLOW Fakita grinder that will take Makita batteries. I already have an orange one (circa £23 I think it was). Figure different colours will be good, one for a slitting disc another colour for the flap disc.

30 minutes ago, ProDave said:

As a new Makita user can I ask how the chargers work, i.e. how they sense "fully charged"?

Mu old drill sensed "fully charged" when the batteries started to warm up.  The Issue with that, was charge a battery, then give it some hard use, put it back in the charger when flat and the charger would not charge and say "full" because it was still hot and had not yet cooled down.

The charger has a noisy fan to keep its internal works from overheating. Beyond that all I can say is that it just works and usually takes a depleted battery from 1 to 4 bars within 30 minutes. I have never noticed the batteries overheating though there is a status light on the charger to indicate charging has halted to let the fan cool things down.

Edited by epsilonGreedy

Yup.

If you use a battery to the point it gets quite hot, when you put it in the charger a thermistor says hold off on the charge but start the fans to aid cooling it ASAP. When cool it will then start to charge. That takes a 30 min charge to 45 mins to an hour or more as it cools first then charges.

8 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

The charger has a noisy fan to keep its internal works from overheating. Beyond that all I can say is that it just works and usually takes a depleted battery from 1 to 4 bars within 30 minutes. I have never noticed the batteries overheating though there is a indicator light status on the charger to indicate charging has halted to let the fan cool things down.

This new charger I've picked up just now either doesn't have a fan, it's not yet kicked in yet or it's duff!

16340630822231765134802.thumb.jpg.8fce09c890a8a1a88842d0d216a541d4.jpg

Red charging light on, charge bars gone from 1 to 4 but no fan noise at all so far. Charger doesn't feel overly hot.

27 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Anyway...back on thread, picked up my Makita drill & x2 5Ah battery kit just now. 

I got mine yesterday and was using the combi up on the scaffolding 20 minutes ago until dusk stopped play. Don't know how I got this far in the build with a single 3Ah battery.

The brushed combi drill creates a bit of light show when used in the dark, it is my first brushed 18v Makita. They say brushed motors do not have the same oomph as their brushless counterparts but I reasoned I will switch to my wonderful Makita pulse driver drill when the combi lacks power.

• Like 1