Screwfix Drill/Impact Driver Twin Pack Bargains - DeWalt vs Makita

Oxbow16

Hi folks

First up, in case anyone hasn't seen it there's an extra 10% off at Screwfix until midnight tonight...  

So I've been thinking to get a new cordless drill set as my old Ryobis are completely passed it.  These two options have really caught my eye and with the additional money off come in at just over £160 which seems a really good price.  They're only for home DIY use.    

https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dck2060l2t-sfgb-18v-3-0ah-li-ion-xr-brushless-cordless-twin-pack/337kv

https://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-dlx2336s-18v-3-0ah-li-ion-lxt-cordless-twin-pack/896hy

Some of the things that my inexperienced eyes have noticed:

- DeWalt is brushless, Makita isn't
- DeWalt has LED lights on both units, Makita just on the impact driver
- Makita has lower torque and speed
- Makita possibly has more overall fans, although DeWalt do have a fair share and I have read of people switching from Makita to DeWalt and being happy.  Seems more the other way round though.
- Both items get great reviews on Screwfix, but the companies get bad reviews on TrustPilot

Before I toss a coin to decide, I thought I'd ask the people of the forum your thoughts.  

Cheers

I bought the £150 offer Makita, just one drill but two 5AH batteries.  My gripe with previous tools is running out of battery charge and time to recharge so 2 5AH batteries was more important to me than the impact driver.  That offer is only £135 if you buy it before midnight tonight.

1 hour ago, Oxbow16 said:

These two options have really caught my eye and with the additional money off come in at just over £160 which seems a really good price.  They're only for home DIY use.    

this is pointed out from @Nickfromwales

This is still crazy cheap for a set with 2x5.0ah batteries. Add one of these and you'll be a very happy man for the money. 

I am seriously considering this as the drill is £135 until the end of the day, and that impact driver is total £205.

So for the makita twin set which is £161.99, for an extra £40 you get 5 ah batteries and a brushless impact driver.

I'd think long and hard about the whole ecosystem. Once you start the next tool will likely be bought 'bare' which is without a battery or charger to save money as you'll already have them. I purchased a DeWalt drill at the start of my self build. Still have it but now I also have a DeWalt impact driver, laser level, radio, SDS drill, multitool, two types of sanders, and possibly something else I can't remember right now along with multiple batteries, chargers, etc.

If you purchase a Erbauer or Makita then you'll probably stick with them for future bits.

35 minutes ago, Dudda said:

I'd think long and hard about the whole ecosystem. Once you start the next tool will likely be bought 'bare' which is without a battery or charger to save money as you'll already have them. I purchased a DeWalt drill at the start of my self build. Still have it but now I also have a DeWalt impact driver, laser level, radio, SDS drill, multitool, two types of sanders, and possibly something else I can't remember right now along with multiple batteries, chargers, etc.

If you purchase a Erbauer or Makita then you'll probably stick with them for future bits.

Exactly what happened to me 

From owning a few brushed and brush less Makita tools, I'd try and get brush less. Far more powerful and responsive.

Only other info I can add is that the Makita brushless impact driver is a fair bit quieter than the equivalent DeWalt (going by what I experience on site)

• Like 1

I’m in the makita camp but @Declan52 says it comes down to what colour you like, each make has such a huge range of tools to meet different budgets. 
If I was starting new I would start by working out what you want - brushless / brushes, power, additional gimmicks and then  just go with whatever was the best deal on the day. 

28 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

we're all just cheaping out really. All the "real" pros use Milwaukee or Festool...

The Milwaukee impact wrench is unreal. Would break your wrist if you don't have your Witt's about you.

I use Makita 12v. Much easier to handle all day and still has plenty of power for anything I need it for 

I've got mostly Makita tools and a couple of Dewalt. I would not recommend Makita - I've had 2 brushless drills fail within 14 months of being new.

Milwaukee if you can afford it or Bosche pro series seem better built when I've borrowed the builders gear. 

However there is a very large difference with a base drill say and the top of the line - the make is less important if we are talking Dewalt, Makita, etc

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, gc100 said:

I would not recommend Makita - I've had 2 brushless drills fail within 14 months of being new.

Strange. :/ 

I've pounded my Makita brushed and brushless stuff into the ground. Couldn't expect any more and very happy with how they hold up to a beating. I've smoked a few drills in my time but I've known that what I was doing was abuse so cannot possibly complain. They died a viking death at the hands of a man who wanted to get done and get home ;) 

8 hours ago, dpmiller said:

we're all just cheaping out really. All the "real" pros use Milwaukee or Festool...

My joiner had a lot of Festool, Jesus they were expensive. He said they did an eyewatering piece of kit that put hot glue edging onto contiboard, trimmed it etc. This is where he drew the line and just used an old iron and a sharp chisel.