Decoupling walls

puntloos

So the simplest, and most efficient way of soundproofing is (if you're building from scratch):

Wall(block) - void(or insulating material) - Wall(block)

But - I imagine these two parallel walls need to be connected to each other else they might fall over? So how would you *normally* attach these two walls to each other, and in the case of soundproofing, would you use e.g. some type of rubberized clips?

https://www.tmsoundproofing.com/decoupling-explained.html seems somewhat helpful but they don't go into detail on how the walls connect to each other, if at all. Can they just 'coexist' without any interaction between them? 

Normally you use wall "ties ties" of which there are many types. Some look like a bow tie made of wire. The kinks or twists in the middle forms a drip bead to stop any water tracking across the tie.

2016832359_K611TraditionalDoubleTriangleWallTie.jpg.87bbd9d086fbeedc2997e477794912a7.jpg

There are noise reducing wall ties but I've no idea how effective they are at reducing noise transmission. They also look expensive..

https://www.ancon.co.uk/products/wall-ties-restraint-fixings/acoustic-wall-ties

w900_Ancon_Acoustic_Ties_Range-5e796a.jpg.e30cc50e4e5bc291eb0c5ac49ada5434.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Temp said:

Normally you use wall "ties ties" of which there are many types. Some look like a bow tie made of wire. The kinks or twists in the middle forms a drip bead to stop any water tracking across the tie.

2016832359_K611TraditionalDoubleTriangleWallTie.jpg.87bbd9d086fbeedc2997e477794912a7.jpg

There are noise reducing wall ties but I've no idea how effective they are at reducing noise transmission. They also look expensive..

https://www.ancon.co.uk/products/wall-ties-restraint-fixings/acoustic-wall-ties

w900_Ancon_Acoustic_Ties_Range-5e796a.jpg.e30cc50e4e5bc291eb0c5ac49ada5434.jpg

Thanks @Temp - I think that info is exactly what I need. Indeed, they look a lot more expensive but I suppose in my case it's only for one room so I'm sure it won't add up to a huge sum.

Very little noise transmitted through a wall tie, if you want to improve then use a longer tie and place at an angle, not as strong but does allow each wall skin to flex without directly pushing the other skin. No idea how much low level noise will transmit in a domestic wall but in Stadia etc. The sound pressure has a big impact on the structure

I knew one of the original MBC builders in Oxford, was very active in the previous forum. He spent a fortune on internal soundproofing - heavy rubber mats, resilient bars for his plasterboard etc. Admitted defeat in the end as it all made little difference - it's very difficult to completely prevent noise transmission within in a house.

Much easier to keep unwanted external noise out though with 3G glazing, high levels of airtightness and the MBC twin wall construction / insulation method is quite effective. 

With masonry party walls we would use use the thin type A wall ties, medium density block plastered and 75mm cavity - either with or without insulation.

For timber and metal frame walls and floors, look at the BG White Book and select what suits.

5 hours ago, Bitpipe said:

it's very difficult to completely prevent noise transmission within in a house.

You really need to go about it as if the rooms that want soundproofing are separate flats.