Zone stats and ASHP controls

Triassic

I’ve got my self install Panasonic ASHP up and running, however I have two ufh zones, one in each wing of  a L shaped house.  Each zone is supplied via its own manifold and integrated pump. I’m wondering what’s the best way of controlling each zone, I assume a simple room stat, but do need something programmable? I’m thinking Not? Do I rely on the ASHP time program?

I remember our Jeremy Harris building his own weather compensation programming but ultimately dumped it fir a simple room stat. I like simple (less to go wrong). I run mine from a simple room stat with a small hysterisis mounted in the hallway, no zones but run the lounge at a slightly higher flow rate (as this is the room you tend to sit still in the most). The stat has timeing built in but never use it. House one temp 24/7. Works fir us. 

Edited by joe90
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, joe90 said:

The stat has timeing built in but never use it. House one temp 24/7. 

The plumber recommended expensive programmable room stats, but I’m left thinking the program function would be useless! As the ASHP would be the better control, with simple stats switch8ng on the zone p7mp as required.

I assume you control your heating via the ASHP controllers, for both on/off times and temperature?

Edited by Triassic

16 minutes ago, Triassic said:

I assume you control your heating via the ASHP controllers, for both on/off times and temperature?

No, the ASHP programmer is sooo complicated I gave up (even with Jeremy’s help as he had the same ASHP and controller) Ours is on 24/7 (UFH) the ASHP heats an 80litre buffer tank controlled by a stat on the tank set to 35’. Our ASHP only heats water to one temp (and we set that to 48’) for  both DHW and heating. The room stat calls for heat and this switches on the pump on the manifold. The manifold temp is set to 25’. I switch the buffer tank off during the summer by a switch giving open cct on the buffer tank stat. Perhaps not a Normal set up but it’s simple and works.

• Like 2

I am another one that shunned the ASHPs programmer as WAY too complicated.  So that is set to 24/7 and just used for setting and reading parameters.  I use a bog standard 3 channel central heating programmer, something that just about anybody knows and understands and feels comfortable with.  3 channels heating downstairs, heating upstairs (bathrooms only) and Hot water.  Below that is simple room thermostats so 3 downstairs and one in each bathroom.

• Like 1

@TriassicWhat EPC score are you expecting? What is the internal floor area of your property?

I ask because you need to know how similar your situation is to the homes of those offering advice. @joe90's house is not far off a passiv standard and is sub 2000 sq ft hence running 24/7 off a single themostat works for him.

My house is also Passive house and around 330m2. However, we’re only discussing room stats and I’m very much into KISS. Im happy to discuss room stats,or anything else house related, with @joe90 as his approach is something I can relate to and if I make a mistake it’s only going to cost me £30!

• Like 1

Having said I want something simple in a room stat, has anyone used Google home / Alexa compatible stats? Are they simple to set up and use? Some of the stats will be used to control electric UF heating in guest bathrooms. I was thinking we could ask Alexa to turn them on and off as required, without having to going round  and re-programming each one.

2 hours ago, Triassic said:

I was thinking we could ask Alexa to turn them on and off as required, without having to going round  and re-programming each one.

I can imagine the conversation now...

You: Alexa give the heating a 2 degree boost.

Alexa: Sorry Dave (err I mean Triassic) I cannot do that.

You: Alexa why?

Alexa: I have been reading the BuildHub forum and have concluded you do not understand passiv house heating principals. To boost the temperature in a meaningful timeframe my COP would drop to such a low factor it would endanger the planet.

You: Alexa order a cheap wall thermostat from Amazon.

Alexa: Sorry Triassic I cannot do that.

@epsilonGreedy.  You clearly don’t understand my wife! If she wants UFH in the bathroom so she has a nice warm feeling in her toes in a morning, she gets UFH and I get an easy life.

our House I’d so well insulated we don’t have the heating on for more than six weeks a year. However, having fitted heating I’d like to have some control over it, even if that is to simply switch in on when we have guests, so that they to have that warm toe feeling.

Edited by Triassic