first fix framing nailer

James94

Got around 90 studs to fix to top and bottom plates with noggins and what ever extras we come across along the way. I've been searching around and read a few bits on here, been toying with either hiring for a week, adding an impact driver to my tool kit and screwing everything, or I've read on here some of you buy use and sell, anyone had experience doing this and could maybe offer their advice.

Regards  James

90 studs is not much tbh. I think if you’re not used to using a nail gun I’d stick with screws and an impact driver. Far more use out of an impact plus if you stick a gas nail in, and the wood is not in the right place, it’s a pita to get it out / adjust afterwards. Screws go in / out with ease and fixings can be altered in seconds.

Gas nail guns typically require the wood to be held in place or a bloody snug hammer tapped in type of fit to keep it still while you fire the gun. 
DIY not in my opinion but you may be a tool ninja so hard to say with confidence to buy a nail gun for a first project that’s not exactly a very big job. 
Much higher minimum quantity purchase with the nails and has too, so if you’ve no further work for it you’ll have surplus which you can’t use. 

@joe90 I have been looking today and not found one anywhere, was thinking of buying new but not sure if the return would still be the same( not keen on buying second hand as not to sure what id be getting quality wise).

@Nickfromwales Never used one before so it would be trial and error (seen a few clips and don't think id struggle with one) and I know what a pig they are to get back out, pulled a few out of some roof laths before.

I think id defiantly get more use from an impact driver but not sure about screwing, I know its not a big job probably less than a 1000 fixings (maths not very good).

Regards  James

Frankly what’s wrong with a hammer and nails, it’s what I did for years, I only went gas nailer when I had lots of jobs lined up. I have never used an impact driver, I always use a cordless drill!!

Edited by joe90
  • Like 1

@joe90 Don't suppose there's anything wrong with hammer and nails never gave it a thought. was thinking on the lines of a battery nailer not gas. My bosch drill driver is on its last legs and struggles with the 100mm screws, so could do with a new drill/impact driver anyway.

But hammer and nails I will consider as I'm a tight get and this does sound cheaper.

Regards  James

15 minutes ago, James94 said:

My bosch drill driver is on its last legs and struggles with the 100mm screws, so could do with a new drill/impact driver anyway.

Then get a new decent one, I have an 12volt deWalt with two batteries and it does everything I ask it, torque is so strong if a large drill jams it can hurt your wrist. Other good ones are available, that and a good hammer will do you well. There is a lot of difference between a cheap hammer and a good well balanced one.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dcd701d2-gb-12v-2-0ah-li-ion-xr-brushless-cordless-drill-driver/422hp

https://www.screwfix.com/p/magnusson-claw-hammer-20oz-0-57kg/7689v

I recommend a 20 ounce hammer for framing 16 ounce is too light.

Edited by joe90
  • Like 1

@joe90 Thanks for the links, think there’s 10%off at the moment so I’ll have a better look later, think I have that hammer already so half way there?

so don’t you recommend a impact driver over a drill driver or is it not necessary.

Regards James

Also maybe a silly question but what size nails would be suitable for 47x95 timbers?

Edited by James94

1 hour ago, James94 said:

so don’t you recommend a impact driver over a drill driver or is it not necessary.

Regards James

Also maybe a silly question but what size nails would be suitable for 47x95 timbers?

It’s not that I don’t recommend an impact driver I just never had one and didn’t feel the need.I would use 4” (100mm) nails myself for that stud work.

I've never owned one, my bosch drill driver now just stops when trying to put large screws in, have been  looking at the twin packs. Are some brands more noisy than others? As I think id like that extra torque.

Regards  James

Impact drills are the dogs danglies, and make mincemeat out of sending home hundreds of 90/100mm no.10 screws. Night and day different to drill drivers where the drill is reliant on you pushing onto the screw to make sure it gets sent home. Hard to describe how different an impact is, but once you use one you'll never go back I promise you.

Noisy, yes a little, but just sooooo much easier to use and less fatigue of the operators arms / hands etc compared to the drill driver. FWIW I bought the oil impulse Makita impact ( £ouch ) as my tinnitus does not like most other impacts. I have to say I find the DeWalt ones incredibly noisy by comparison. 

4 hours ago, joe90 said:

Frankly what’s wrong with a hammer and nails, it’s what I did for years, I only went gas nailer when I had lots of jobs lined up. I have never used an impact driver, I always use a cordless drill!!

Ahh, bless him, he still uses the starting handle of his model T to stir his Ovaltine........

This is still crazy cheap for a set with 2x5.0ah batteries. Add one of these and you'll be a very happy man for the money. 

@Nickfromwales Thanks for the advice, don't think budget will stretch to an oil impulse range but this looks a good deal £206.49, will batteries fit both? have you had any dealings with bosch and if so could you offer any advice on the comparison of this deal on screwfix to the one you have found.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-0615990m53-18v-4-0ah-li-ion-coolpack-cordless-twin-pack/409ky  for  £179

Regards  James

I have a few Bosch tools, laser, 2kg SDS, BFO SDSMax drill breaker and pretty much every drill bit I own. 
You’ll not go wrong there ? 

Remember to buy IMPACT bits and an IMPACT bit holder as regular ones will not last 5 mins due to the shock of the impact.. Non impact bit holders have a black shaft / chrome holder, and are two pieces bonded together. Look for solid ‘one-piece’ items rated accordingly. 

6 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

This is still crazy cheap for a set with 2x5.0ah batteries. Add one of these and you'll be a very happy man for the money. 

This is currently £135 with the SF10 voucher code. A pair of genuine 5Ah batteries is more than that .. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, PeterW said:

This is currently £135 with the SF10 voucher code. A pair of genuine 5Ah batteries is more than that .. 

Can you use the same code twice? I think I’ll buy another 2 of those tbh. Bought 2 already @ £150. 
If I get £50 back for each of the BNIB drill - charger - case combos then that’s a deal and a half afaic. 
Change of £370 for 8 batteries = <£47 a battery. Just got so much 18v stuff now, radios / work lights / few in tools + few on charge, they soon go and you’re soon looking for one to pinch from something to keep you going.

A big thank you for all the great advice, I’ve decided to go with a Makita twin set. It was a little more expensive than I wanted to pay but thought Id up the spec slightly and go for the brushless.

As much as I’d of liked to of used the nailer for ease I just don’t think I’d of got the use from it as much aS I will the Makita pair. 

Regards. James

• Thanks 1

On 09/10/2021 at 01:44, Nickfromwales said:

I am seriously considering this as the drill is £135 until the end of the day, and that impact driver is total £205.

This twin pack is £225 with the voucher but the impact won't be brushless or have a work light.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-dlx2336st-18v-5-0ah-li-ion-lxt-cordless-twin-pack/914jj

Makita impact driver is awesome, I’m still using Dewalt drills but as they wear out I will be switching over to Makita, I also love my Makita 165mm circ saw … brilliant for flooring and trimming doors

On 08/10/2021 at 18:49, James94 said:

Got around 90 studs to fix to top and bottom plates with noggins and what ever extras we come across along the way. I've been searching around and read a few bits on here, been toying with either hiring for a week, adding an impact driver to my tool kit and screwing everything, or I've read on here some of you buy use and sell, anyone had experience doing this and could maybe offer their advice.

Regards  James

hire a paslode for the weekend. very cheap.

2 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

I like the Makita 18v kit.  I even use the batteries to run some LED strip in a lockup.  Shame the radio does not charge the battery when it is plugged in.

I bought the 18v Makita work lights which are also cabled for 240v and was thoroughly pissed off that the battery doesn’t charge in there either.  

I know this is a Makita love-in session but I'd just like to share another opinion. I also love my impact driver and I can't believe I ever did DIY without one! But I am fully part of the Erbauer ecosystem now and I bought https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-eid18-li-ecd18-li-2-18v-2-0ah-li-ion-ext-brushless-cordless-twin-pack/542fv this set. gave me an extra 2 batteries to go with my other ones and the tools are great for someone like me who isn't a professional and won't use it every day.

just a potential less expensive option. 

?