Design Changes

Curtis

5 minutes ago, Buzz said:

I suppose it depends and what you call custom , we have a couple of triangular windows but everything else i would class as nothing out of the ordinary .

We have a gable end amongst other glass but we have said to architect to keep things standard sizes so hopefully he has!

5 minutes ago, Iceverge said:

It's tricky as they hold the keys to the law from a lay persons perspective. Maybe if you think this is a beneficial path make a query to another solicitor who isn't involved to explore the consequences. 

Just because you can doesn't mean you should!

Clever design will give you plenty light and views without going to town on glazing. More glass means more heating and overheating, more steel and more expense. 

We seriously thought about going to another solicitor but decided they will probably all give give the same service just now and solicitors surely never like taking on clients who have left another solicitor as they will presume you are trouble.

Yea we could maybe take back the glass a bit but i wanna keep the majority, we live in scotland we need glass so we know what outside looks like when its shite weather for months!!

22 minutes ago, Curtis said:

We have a gable end amongst other glass but we have said to architect to keep things standard sizes so hopefully he has!

These are the only ones I would class as non standard but even so nothing i haven't seen before. 

2111201949.jpg

1 hour ago, Curtis said:

Ooooft that's a lot, can you even begin to estimate what you saved doing this yourself?

Not really but I'd imagine it's a fair amount. I did wonder about trying to tot it all up but I'm not sure how accurate I could be.

I'd always wanted to build a house so part of the attraction was being able to get stuck in, saving money a good secondary benefit. That said, I took a year off work to be able to do it, but I reckon it was probably worth it.

On 08/10/2021 at 20:32, ProDave said:

I know this is not what you are asking, but your plot layout does not make sense.  You have one HUGE entrance "driveway" that appears to be paved in some form on the south, sunny side of the house, and only a tiny little but of "garden" on the north side of the house.  I would be seriously re balancing that.

Plus 1. When I was house hunting, I looked at orientation  and location, as those are the only things I wouldn’t be able to change. If I had the ability to self build, I would make my garden South or South West facing. 

3 hours ago, Curtis said:

My solicitor was at the point of walking end of last week, i asked her why things were taking so long and she said said she was really busy and would respond to sellers solicitor asap, when i asked her if house purchases she was involved with were taking priority over my land transaction she threatened to walk because i was questioning her commitment even though she said yes house transactions took priority because they have completion dates.

I suggest you send her an email saying that you had a quick look at the Solicitor’s Regulation Authority’s website, and found the Code of Conduct. Rule 3.2 says:

“You ensure that the service you provide to clients is competent and delivered in a timely manner.“

Point out that the service she is providing you is not timely, and ask her to re rectify that. I wouldn’t threaten a complaint to the SRA… yet. It’s implied in the fact you are making yourself aware of the rules. If she doesn’timprove the timeliness of her service after you make this initial complaint, you can always escalate it. Communicate with her in writing. Creates a paper trail. Harder to ignore, as after this email she will know that you can use that paper trail in a complaint to her regulator.

1 hour ago, Adsibob said:

It’s implied in the fact you are making yourself aware of the rules. If she doesn’timprove the timeliness of her service after you make this initial complaint, you can always escalate it.

+1 to this. I’ve only ever used that threat once but it had a profound effect on the solicitor in question …. The SRA is far from a toothless trade body ..!

13 hours ago, Buzz said:

These are the only ones I would class as non standard but even so nothing i haven't seen before. 

2111201949.jpg

Good looking build, is that beam and block base?

12 hours ago, jamieled said:

Not really but I'd imagine it's a fair amount. I did wonder about trying to tot it all up but I'm not sure how accurate I could be.

I'd always wanted to build a house so part of the attraction was being able to get stuck in, saving money a good secondary benefit. That said, I took a year off work to be able to do it, but I reckon it was probably worth it.

We have been speaking about me taking a year off work as well and just doing whatever i can to help with the build and the Mrs will continue to work and keep money coming in.  I'm actually looking forward to it but the Mrs isn't although i dare say when and if we start i'll be calling for my cushy desk job back in a matter of weeks when my back and knees are fxxxed.

12 hours ago, Adsibob said:

Plus 1. When I was house hunting, I looked at orientation  and location, as those are the only things I wouldn’t be able to change. If I had the ability to self build, I would make my garden South or South West facing. 

The orientation is still much the same but the house has changed with the T at the other side with side windows so we can get afternoon/evening south west sun.  We have also added in a few roof skylights to increase light coming in.   Bedroom 2 and the office are being swapped so the office is next to the master bedroom.  Shout out to @ETC as we have changed the master bedroom layout to match your sketch designs.

image.thumb.png.6b6d088ec5ca54409638b46143e91495.png

11 hours ago, Adsibob said:

I suggest you send her an email saying that you had a quick look at the Solicitor’s Regulation Authority’s website, and found the Code of Conduct. Rule 3.2 says:

“You ensure that the service you provide to clients is competent and delivered in a timely manner.“

Point out that the service she is providing you is not timely, and ask her to re rectify that. I wouldn’t threaten a complaint to the SRA… yet. It’s implied in the fact you are making yourself aware of the rules. If she doesn’timprove the timeliness of her service after you make this initial complaint, you can always escalate it. Communicate with her in writing. Creates a paper trail. Harder to ignore, as after this email she will know that you can use that paper trail in a complaint to her regulator.

I would be keen to do this but my Mrs would not be, she didn't want me to send last email i sent questioning time scales but i'd had enough after a month and still no reply to sellers solicitor, will see how things go this week

9 hours ago, PeterW said:

+1 to this. I’ve only ever used that threat once but it had a profound effect on the solicitor in question …. The SRA is far from a toothless trade body ..!

image.png

@Curtis just a really minor point - flip the utility layout over so the hot water tank is on the opposite side, make the slider door go the opposite way and then give access to the cloaks from the hallway not the utility. 

Other than that - like that layout !

13 minutes ago, PeterW said:

@Curtis just a really minor point - flip the utility layout over so the hot water tank is on the opposite side, make the slider door go the opposite way and then give access to the cloaks from the hallway not the utility. 

Other than that - like that layout !

Will have a play about with those ideas, cheers

55 minutes ago, Curtis said:

The orientation is still much the same but the house has changed with the T at the other side with side windows so we can get afternoon/evening south west sun

I don’t really get the logic of this. Given how precious  the sunshine is in this country, don’t you want to make the most of it and have it setting at the end or the side of the garden? Or are the neighbour’s trees so high you won’t really get evening sunshine either way? 
maybe you aren’t garden people, which is fair enough, but at the moment your garden looks to be North East facing which will decrease its desirability when you come to sell.

17 minutes ago, Adsibob said:

I don’t really get the logic of this. Given how precious  the sunshine is in this country, don’t you want to make the most of it and have it setting at the end or the side of the garden? Or are the neighbour’s trees so high you won’t really get evening sunshine either way? 
maybe you aren’t garden people, which is fair enough, but at the moment your garden looks to be North East facing which will decrease its desirability when you come to sell.

It's all about the view, the house is elevated and orientated to overlook a cracking forrest and hill view.  We realise parts of the current marked garden area will be in the shade but because we have a few acres we can make the garden as big as we want within reason and so when actually building we'll make the garden whatever size / shape it needs to be so we have a sitting area in direct sunlight.  Also the area in front of the house where the gable end is we will probably grass as well and that area will definetely have direct sunlight

I think having the cloakroom in the utility is actually a good idea - it gets the coats out of the way. Just wondering if you need a separate cupboard or just a few hooks on the wall.

In hindsight the only reservation I have about the layout of the master bedroom is that if you want a tv in the room you’ll need a bed with a tv at the end rather than a wall mounted tv.

Other than possibly moving the master bedroom door back into the corridor and thinking if the window in the bathroom might be difficult to open if the bath is there I think the layout is grand.

2 hours ago, Curtis said:

It's all about the view, the house is elevated and orientated to overlook a cracking forrest and hill view.  We realise parts of the current marked garden area will be in the shade but because we have a few acres we can make the garden as big as we want within reason and so when actually building we'll make the garden whatever size / shape it needs to be so we have a sitting area in direct sunlight.  Also the area in front of the house where the gable end is we will probably grass as well and that area will definetely have direct sunlight

Makes sense. That sounds lovely. 

3 minutes ago, Buzz said:

Yes mate , quick and easy despite having to use 2 different size beams because of the span in some rooms .

So do your floor joists actually sit on top of the beam and block base or do they sit slightly above that and the beam and block is to keep the beasties out?

9 minutes ago, Curtis said:

So do your floor joists actually sit on top of the beam and block base or do they sit slightly above that and the beam and block is to keep the beasties out?

Not sure i get what you mean,  on top of the block and beam will.go damp proof membrane 175mm of eps insulation then another membrane under floor heating pipes and finally  50mm of screed which will be finished floor level.

17 minutes ago, Buzz said:

Not sure i get what you mean,  on top of the block and beam will.go damp proof membrane 175mm of eps insulation then another membrane under floor heating pipes and finally  50mm of screed which will be finished floor level.

Ah okay i get what you mean, sounds good