Minimum base unit for a 750mm sink

Adsibob

I'd like to buy this kitchen sink and install it on a 750mm base unit (pic below). Weirdly the specs of this sink say that it is suitable for a base unit that is at least 1000mm wide. Any reason why i can't install it over a 750mm base unit? I appreciate there won't be room for the hinges to be affixed unless i drop the position of the top hinge so that it is just below the bottom of the sink, but I don't see that as a problem. The base units I'm going for has sides made of 18mm MDF, so whilst it should be tight there should be just enough space for the sink. Thoughts?

image.png.9615d5938ffcbdf7df1e8242fe5c846c.png

I don't know, it looks tight. I think you will need to overlap the lip of the sink onto the tops of the sides of the MDF kitchen cabinet and I'm not sure those are designed to have the weight of a kitchen sink rest on them.

1 hour ago, Faz said:

Too tight - probably won't fit bud. How about a 900mm unit?

We can probably fit a 760mm unit. We might be able to fit a  770mm unit, but no bigger. @Faz can you explain why you think I need so much space. How are undermount kitchen sinks installed? I see the one in our rental where we are staying the undermount sink is supported by a piece of wood drilled to either side of the inside of the cabinet to support the sink, but I don't see why that is any different to the sink resting on the sides of the cabinet itself.

Our kitchen company said you need 50mm all around the sink for fitting, can go less but it makes life harder. You could fit that unit in a 900mm carcass no problem. We're fitting an 800mm sink in a 900mm unit (undermount). Will be tight enough.

Don't forget that you have to allow for the carcass widths on both ends mate.  I have chosen a 900mm unit for mine but who knows - maybe yours is different so go for it if you are confident.

What’s either side cabinet wise? Wouldn’t be the first time I’ve had to fit a sink across two cabinets by cutting away some of the side panel for the bowl to sit “thro” adjacent cabinets

Under mount sink implies stone or imitation stone worktop.

There are 2 ways to mount an undermount sink and some stone suppliers will only use their preferred method.

One is support the sink independantly in the base unit e.g. with a wooden frame and supports and the stone worktop just sits down onto this.  This method might just work in your narrow base unit.  The other method is the sink hangs from brackets bonded to the underside of the worktop.  This requires space all around the sink on all 4 sides and needs the bigger cabinet.

So first talk to your stone supplier.

13 hours ago, ProDave said:

There are 2 ways to mount an undermount sink and some stone suppliers will only use their preferred method.

The sink instructions have belt and braces approach, with a structural unit under plus mastic plus perimeter brackets resined into the underside of the worktop.

On site I mostly see mastic only!

On 07/10/2021 at 20:59, ProDave said:

Under mount sink implies stone or imitation stone worktop.

One is support the sink independantly in the base unit e.g. with a wooden frame and supports and the stone worktop just sits down onto this.  This method might just work in your narrow base unit.  The other method is the sink hangs from brackets bonded to the underside of the worktop.  This requires space all around the sink on all 4 sides and needs the bigger cabinet.

So first talk to your stone supplier.

I spoke to my stone supplier and this is what they emailed me in response:

If the sink you have is a undermount sink, the correct support must already be in place and it must sit level with the units.

So if I understand this correctly, they will be expecting it to be supported by the base unit and wooden frame.  I need to figure out what the smallest width unit is that can accommodate the above sink, because my alternative is to buy a bespoke undermount sink which will cost me about £375 more than the £200 sink linked above. Obviously rather get a bespoke 760mm base unit than a much more expensive bespoke sink!

41 minutes ago, Adsibob said:

So if I understand this correctly, they will be expecting it to be supported by the base unit and wooden frame.  I need to figure out what the smallest width unit is that can accommodate the above sink, 

Do you have the sink already, and can confirm the drawing dimensions? If so I'd expect a 750mm unit with 18mm gables will be fine and leave you with 2mm wriggle room either side. 

I've recently done the same with a Franke sink in a 600mm unit without issue and just a few additions to ensure stable support. 

Edited by MJNewton

On 11/10/2021 at 19:23, MJNewton said:

Do you have the sink already, and can confirm the drawing dimensions? If so I'd expect a 750mm unit with 18mm gables will be fine and leave you with 2mm wriggle room either side. 

I've recently done the same with a Franke sink in a 600mm unit without issue and just a few additions to ensure stable support. 

I have not ordered the sink yet, but the exact dimensions are shown in the picture in my OP. My interpretation of that picture is that the sink has a lip all the way around which makes it 750mm wide, but as the internal width of the sink is 710mm, the lip itself must be about 18.7mm in depth (assuming the thickness of the stainless steel which the sink is made of is 1.3mm thick). If that is the case, then this should work but there won't really be any wiggle room.

Discussing it further with my architect he said that he's designed set ups like this before and if necessary we could easily build a support for the sink to support it from under the bowl rather than from under the lip. So I guess I'm going ahead and ordering this sink! 

27 minutes ago, Adsibob said:

I have not ordered the sink yet, but the exact dimensions are shown in the picture in my OP. My interpretation of that picture is that the sink has a lip all the way around which makes it 750mm wide, but as the internal width of the sink is 710mm, the lip itself must be about 18.7mm in depth (assuming the thickness of the stainless steel which the sink is made of is 1.3mm thick). If that is the case, then this should work but there won't really be any wiggle room.

Discussing it further with my architect he said that he's designed set ups like this before and if necessary we could easily build a support for the sink to support it from under the bowl rather than from under the lip. So I guess I'm going ahead and ordering this sink! 

Exact dimensions of what though? That 710mm could well be the inner dimension as you say but what if it's double skinned and this and the tolerances of manufacturing might mean it is 720mm outer? It wouldn't slot into a 750mm unit with 18mm sides. Similarly, are they the top or bottom dimensions noting that most sinks of this type don't have vertical walls? I'd treat dimensions like this as nominal when it comes to steel sinks given the manufacturing methods involved.

Where's there's a will there's a way though and once the sink is in front of you it'll be much easier to work out how to deal with it. Incidentally, I'd expect standard hinge position to be likely fine as it's only 400mm front to back and assumed it is centred will give some room at the front on a typical 560mm-or-whatever base unit.

Edited by MJNewton

This document might be of more use as it is a bit more specific about actual dimensions:

https://www.abodedesigns.co.uk/downloads/specifications/aw5128_specv2.pdf

(Do check I've got the right one here!)

Of particular interest is the inset requirements as whilst you are undermounting it with regards to the worktop you are in effect insetting it into a cupboard (or at least that's the Plan A Easy Route). It specifies a 735mm cutout which is some way over the 750-(2x18)=714mm that a minimally-modified base unit has to offer. Of course maybe they are just being generous with tolerances which brings us back to really needing the actual sink in front of you.

Edited by MJNewton

The plot thickens, just found an ever so slightly smaller sink, which given the info you've just found @MJNewton might just be the ticket! Never heard of the manufacturer (Mizzo) but they give a lifetime guarantee on the sink whereas the Abode comes with 10 years, so presumably they are comparable? They also publish their tolerances as +/- 0.5mm, which sounds pretty accurate to me.

Here's the sink and dimensions diagram: https://cofaro.com/uk/mizzo-linea-kitchen-sink-1-2-7040-undermount-flushmount

10 minutes ago, Adsibob said:

They also publish their tolerances as +/- 0.5mm, which sounds pretty accurate to me.

At the risk of sounding like a right old party pooper those tolerances will only be the outer cut dimensions. Everything else is subject to tolerances relating to bending metal, presses that must allow the release of the formed piece etc and so won't necessarily be quite so tight.

If I were you I'd check what the returns policy is and make sure you can send it back if it looks like it's going to work out. Distance Selling regs mean you are entitled to do this of course to allow the equivalent level of right to inspect were you buying it in person but it's usually far easier if there's an explicit returns policy that supports it without hassle.

Edit: Cofaro appear to be based in the Netherlands so returns could be problematic.

Edited by MJNewton