Fitting of GSE in roof system

Barryscotland

15 minutes ago, Jenki said:

Resurrecting an old thread as it seems a good fit.

I'm looking at ordering my trays now, its going to be 2 rows 5 columns of panels  (10).  and trying to work out the flashing required

Can you take loads of pictures please as this issue comes up quite often.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dpmiller said:

the proper top flashing laps onto the top panels

@dpmiller so would you say this is the best way forward, belt and braces/  a nice to have / or essential? 

Edited by Jenki
more detail

1 hour ago, SteamyTea said:

Can you take loads of pictures please as this issue comes up quite often.

when I've got the solution, I'll blog the install and stand back for the replies...

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jenki said:

Resurrecting an old thread as it seems a good fit.

I'm looking at ordering my trays now, its going to be 2 rows 5 columns of panels  (10).  and trying to work out the flashing required.  

1: The instructions suggest top flashing is not usually required as the tiles overlap the gse tray.

2: Bottom flashing, I have the option of having the bottom of the panels at the gutter edge. if I were to do this the gse tray would overlap the felt support tray, so would flashing be needed here?

any thoughts on this?

you could not have the top flasing but it wont look very good as there is no support to kick the tiles up so they wouldnt line up with the tiles either side. Definitely need side flashing though.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, ringi said:

A semi related question, how does the system last as long as a normal roof given UV light can hit the trays?

the only part exposed is the centre join if you have multiple panels side by side. Everything else is flashed.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 24/10/2021 at 11:16, Thorfun said:

our solar PV company sent us photos of lead flashing details for the GSE trays.

IMG-20181206-WA0018.thumb.jpg.13507be956ec5ad7c72a0a78d906bbdb.jpg

the roofer said no problem and will be using Code 4 300mm lead flashing so we're going that route.

@Thorfun do you know how the lead was held in place? Perhaps by those clips, do you know what they are called?

20 minutes ago, LiamJones said:

@Thorfun do you know how the lead was held in place? Perhaps by those clips, do you know what they are called?

sorry. that's not a photo of our setup. we used a sticky fast flash product on ours.

image.thumb.jpeg.860af06bcb0f12a1c1d1c24f877b7319.jpeg

• Thanks 2

• 3 months later...
On 11/07/2023 at 10:40, Jenki said:

when I've got the solution, I'll blog the install and stand back for the replies...

Have you managed to get installed yet? Im getting confused about the direct to eaves connection detail. they seem to want a 380mm eaves tray, but all standard trays are no more than 200mm. also a bit confused on how to get the ventilation under the panels, where would i put an "over fascia vent", between the two eaves trays? it all starts to look a bit messy if you kick up the last tile.

image.png.273b5c527da6de6c00777cb9d65f52c5.pngimage.thumb.png.65ba24ba4a643e1a34450fe2c451a8c8.png

I installed 1 row of tiles at the eaves, and used fake lead flashing under the tray to the top of this row, it looked a better option than the panels into the gutter.

I mentioned some of it in This blog, but I'll look later if I have any pictures of this flashing detail.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2