ASHP & hot tubs!!

Redoctober

Hello - Asking for a friend - no, seriously? I am.

He has contacted me as he is becoming concerned about the high amount of electricity he seems to be using on a monthly basis. 

I have asked him for more details but at the moment he says he has an ASHP and a Hot Tub.

Does anyone have any experiences at this stage of the two being run and resulting in high levels of energy usage?

Last month he used 819kwh and already this month he has used 253kwh. There is only him and his wife at home!!

Any thoughts would be welcome. Thanks in advance.

5 minutes ago, Redoctober said:

Hello - Asking for a friend - no, seriously? I am.

He has contacted me as he is becoming concerned about the high amount of electricity he seems to be using on a monthly basis. 

I have asked him for more details but at the moment he says he has an ASHP and a Hot Tub.

Does anyone have any experiences at this stage of the two being run and resulting in high levels of energy usage?

Last month he used 819kwh and already this month he has used 253kwh. There is only him and his wife at home!!

Any thoughts would be welcome. Thanks in advance.

I'm going to stay up all night to monitor the feed back on this one!

Starting off sensible. Take the small burner on a gas hob. Say with an output of 1.0kW and imagine you put a very big pot of stock on to simmer overnight. You use say 12 kW. Multiply by 2 for 24 hours = 24 kW. Now run that for a month 24 * 30 = 720 kWh.. Now a hot tub.. and they are not insulated to a passive house standard is a bit bigger than a pot of stock. Unless you are both very small people about the size of an action man / woman. Yes I know the hot tub is not simmering but it has a much larger volume and exposed surface area.

It's probably got nothing to do with the ASHP.. is he winding you up!

I wonder if your friend has taken his guidance from Happy Hottubs?  https://www.happyhottubs.co.uk/blog/how-much-does-it-cost-to-run-a-hot-tub

I quote:

Should I Turn My Hot Tub Off When It Is Not In Use? 

No. Turning off your spa between uses does not save money. Once the water is heated to your preferred temperature, you’ll save energy—and money—by keeping it there. It costs more to reheat the water from scratch every time you turn it on. Even if you only use your hot tub once a week, you should still leave it constantly running. For vacations of up to two weeks, you may choose to lower your water temperature to as low as 30 degrees celcius, but otherwise leave your spa operating as usual.

• Thanks 1

Hot tub every day of the week !! They suck power to keep warm and are a nightmare on electricity bills. If he wants to make it better then get at least another 70mm of PIR on the lid and check how much is round the tub - I’ve seen them with 30-40mm of spray foam on them which is far from adequate 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

Turning off your spa between uses does not save money.

Nonsense. The heat loss from a hot tub is much greater than from a cool tub or a cold tub.

That is an excuse for keeping it available at all times, so you can use it when you want.....which would be  a better explanation to keep it hot.

Anyway, they lose their appeal after a while so the cost is not permanent.

I have a lazy spa which is the council version....its horrifically expensive to run  especially during the winter. I estimate 60 quid a month in summer up to 120 in winter depending on usage. Proper hot tips are cheaper as they are better insulated. 

I do like a hot tub though, nice just sitting out looking at the stars

• Thanks 1

Hot tubs remind me of treatment plants 

When we installed ours TP I asked if we needed to add bacteria and was told Give it a week and there will be millions of bacteria in there 

Our neighbors installed one four years ago and have never drained it 

They also have high electricity bills 

Definitely not the Ht The Heat pump they had installed has been a complete waste of money ?

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

Filthy swingers bathing in a soup of bodily excretions and skin.  They get what they deserve.

Yes.

Used to install them.  The worse job I have ever done was cleaning out the DE filter at the YMCA Sheffield.

I still try not to think what those young men got up to.

(quite often had to replace sauna benches because 'staff used to play about' in them)

7 hours ago, SuperJohnG said:

hot tips are.........

lol. Hot tip is don't get a hot tub unless you are prepared to look after / maintain it....and NEVER leave your friends alone in it or it'll become 'contaminated' within minutes.

8 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

Filthy swingers bathing in a soup of bodily excretions and skin.  They get what they deserve.

Nearly spat my coffee out :D  but pretty much spot on. Didn't someone on here once refer to them as 'sex ponds'? ??

1 hour ago, nod said:

The Heat pump they had installed has been a complete waste of money

If I were to purchase one of these wonderful gooey devices, I would 100% be heating it with a HP. @Redoctober why not suggest a cheap Chinese HP as that should at least halve the bill, just where to put / hide it and how to integrate to deal with.

• Thanks 1

Many thanks guys for an informative and humorous responses ?

I shall cobble together the comments and send them onto my friend. Without knowing for sure, I suspect he hasn't "invested" too much in one, so maybe he is reaping the rewards of such a purchase. 

If I do get any further technical or specific details from him @joe90, I shall update the thread but don't go holding your breath.

One thing is for sure mind, I shall be washing my hair should an "invite" arrive for a drinks party !!!???

I recently saw a neighbour take the lid of his one, stare at the water for few minutes, cup his hands and taste it. Going by how many people they've had in it over the summer I would imagine it was quite a meaty broth. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

OK - it transpires it had nothing to do with the ASHP - He failed to tell me yesterday that he also has an array of solar panels which he received on a supply basis only. He fitted them, had an electrician wire "them up" but failed to get them registered with whoever he should have done. Therefore the energy being "created" wasn't being recogonised. 

He says this will be corrected and hopefully will see a reduction in his usage.

Thanks again.?

1 hour ago, Ralph said:

I recently saw a neighbour take the lid of his one, stare at the water for few minutes, cup his hands and taste it. Going by how many people they've had in it over the summer I would imagine it was quite a meaty broth. 

ewww

https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/hot-tub-owners-pretending-its-not-a-nasty-sex-pond-2013042266204

Hieronymous Bosch knew the answer to this as far back as 1550.

It is rank and they are all going to hell.

tondals-vision-bosch-l.jpg.641afe06cda7436b988fa5544b588a40.jpg

https://www.hieronymus-bosch.org/Tondals-Vision.html

where they will be punished in a bizarre satire of their hot tub activity (on the right), by being boiled alive in a Hot Tub by demons.

Seven deadly sins by Bosch

?

Now, why can't we get Extinction Rebellion to protest all this waste by squatting in all the nation's hot tubs to make sure they stay unheated?

I'd support them doing that.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Redoctober said:

OK - it transpires it had nothing to do with the ASHP - He failed to tell me yesterday that he also has an array of solar panels which he received on a supply basis only. He fitted them, had an electrician wire "them up" but failed to get them registered with whoever he should have done. Therefore the energy being "created" wasn't being recogonised. 

If they are connected properly the panels will generate electricity irrespective of being "registered".

Is the hot tub actually connected to the ASHP or it it using its own resistance heater? Is it inside or outside and how well insulated is it or the room it is inside?