How much can I bend ceiling plasterboard horizontally?

epsilonGreedy

Across a 600mm truss centre I have noticed that the ceiling joist part of one truss is about 3mm higher than the plane of the other trusses. It is the last truss at one end of the room that is higher.

When I get around to putting up the ceiling plasterboard will it bend up 3mm to meet this wonky truss without cracking? I have not decided on 12mm or 15mm ceiling plasterboard yet.

This alignment error only came to light today as I ran some noggins across from another wallplate.

3 hours ago, nod said:

It’s quite rare to tack directly on to trusses 

Most including myself Counter baton with 75x25 That way you can easily pack where there is any undulation 

Most trusses and pozi's need a bit of packing. Just been on a job with a giant cock who thought just screwing counter battens on without packing was a great idea. Second team who came behind him looked at it.......asked "Who TF did this?!".....and proceeded to take it all down ad do it all again with packers and a laser.

3 hours ago, Dave Jones said:

lol ?

Horses for courses. 

Packing out for 3mm....is it really worth the bother running up and down ypur Ceiling packing out such small amounts?

I'd hazard a guess that once all skimmed and painted the mk1 eyeball ain't going to notice such small differences when sat on your arse nursing a brew?‍♂️

• Like 1

Out of self builder ignorance I didn't bother with packers.

Just batten and counterbatten with 44*44mm timbers (88mm service cavity) screwed onto the bottom of the trusses. Then 12.5mm plasterboard and skim. 

I've just had a look upstairs and compared it to the lasered MF ceiling downstairs. There's very little in it. If I didn't know I couldn't tell which was which. The final finish room by room had far more to do with whoever was on the trowel I reckon. 

As it’s just one joist (and I am OCD) I would pack it, if you don’t do it and  if it is noticeable after being plastered it’s too late and you will kick yourself all for a bit of hardboard and 15minutes work ?‍♂️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Iceverge said:

The final finish room by room had far more to do with whoever was on the trowel I reckon. 

Yup..! my spreads does it by eye - compound curves, the lot. He packed out the bottom edge of a valley as he wasn’t happy where it came into the room and it’s done with bonding and bead and it’s like a knife edge it is that straight.

Mates new developer box looks like it’s been plastered with a plastic butter knife … 

• Like 2