When did the United Kingdom start going wrong?

When Hornby/Scalextric moved abroad, when we stopped making tellys here, when sub 6' policemen were allowed into the force...when text speak became acceptable, when the 3 R's lost their importance. The rise of fast food, when kids stopped getting off their ar5es to wash M&D's car for their pocket money...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

Hornby are based in Margate. Regularly in the local news either about to close down,  or having a mini boom,  and I don't think they make stuff there.

The HQ is not impressive/

I went there 30 years ago. It was alright, I was well chuffed.

Last I heard they were bringing the manufacturing back to the UK?

9 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

I used to look at your office when I was lecturing from the tower block.

Used to go past that office as it was being built as a young lad - went back to Aylesbury recently - it is a horrible cesspit of a town. Never the best 40 years ago mind.

I remember when they had lights on the crossing o/s the Rothmans building that caused chaos which improved when they dropped in a mini roundabout. See the idiots have gone back to lights again - wtf?

10 minutes ago, Faz said:

Used to go past that office as it was being built as a young lad - went back to Aylesbury recently - it is a horrible cesspit of a town. Never the best 40 years ago mind.

I remember when they had lights on the crossing o/s the Rothmans building that caused chaos which improved when they dropped in a mini roundabout. See the idiots have gone back to lights again - wtf?

Travelling up the A41 I always wanted to go to Tring for some odd reason.

This country is certainly no place for old men like you ancient (expletive deleted)ers .

Embrace the new ( sometimes dis functional ) technology . The ‘threat ‘ of WW3 . Inflation , shortages , poverty .

It is indeed a brave ( shit ) new world .

Edited by pocster

13 minutes ago, pocster said:

Toy trains are for children or sad old men with meaningless lives . 

I'm trying to workout how anyones life is meaningful. In the end your born, you live, you die. In the gap between birth and death you do something. What's wrong with toy trains? It's as meaningful as being a barrister, having children, building massive status filled houses or doing nothing. 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Tring is a nice place - worked there as a first job. The Tring bypass as it was in those days was a proper car proving ground!

Mind you - I treat it the same way now in the RS only it goes all the way to the M25 with no cameras.  Happy days.

22 minutes ago, Marvin said:

I'm trying to workout how anyones life is meaningful. In the end your born, you live, you die. In the gap between birth and death you do something. What's wrong with toy trains? It's as meaningful as being a barrister, having children, building massive status filled houses or doing nothing. 

You are correct of course .

We are all meaningless, pointless and futile . Blokes that play with chu chu ‘s just a bit more . Do you want to drive your train into my tunnel ?

22 minutes ago, Marvin said:

I think most train sets are bought by fathers to play with themselves - that was the case for me as a kid.

Not knocking it - in today's world of work where everything is somewhat nefarious, it is difficult to feel a sense of achievement in many office type jobs so the pleasure of building something physical and permanent is understandable.  I got back into building and detailing model aircraft a few years back (site work has put paid to that mind you!) and had really enjoyes making something physical and detailed.  Got a few kits to make under the bed if I can ever be arsed!

3 hours ago, Onoff said:

Got a nice little Natural History Museum there.

2 hours ago, Faz said:

The Tring bypass as it was in those days was a proper car proving ground

Red lined the 205 1.9 GTi on it.  Was a bit scary.

The cam chain tensioner on my company Vectra disintegrated on it.  Was the end of that car.

I have never stopped at the McDonalds on it, not once.

Had a black girl I knew show me what she bought in the Ann Summers shop in Watford.  Second layby up from the M25 heading north.

Edited by SteamyTea