When did the United Kingdom start going wrong?

From what I have read (and I am open to being proved wrong!) the Germans for example still work on the old system of apprentices and investment back into the business, also most Germans prefer to buy Germans made products. We appear to have digressed into buying cheap (china) products and not supporting our own industries. I believe it’s also true that we have the lowest productivity amongst similar nations. Don’t get me wrong I would not want a politicians job for all the tea in China but the country voted to leave the EU, not the gov (there were pro Brexits and remainers in gov). It would appear the pig Industry relied on migrant workers and yes units not the gov,s job to help every failing industry.

(I like the old wiring colours too ?)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, epsilonGreedy said:

I opened up a plug this afternoon to dry it out and inside the wires were colour-coded Red, Black and Green, bliss. It made far more sense.

Why does red black and green make it better? Give me brown blue and yellow/green.

Harmonisation was a boon.

Next you be calling for pounds and inches...worst units of measure going.

It's like anything in life, what you grow up using is what makes sense. No one likes change, unfortunately the ship has long since sailed with those kind of changes and we shouldn't revert....the youth don't understand them, only crusty old sods!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, epsilonGreedy said:

I opened up a plug this afternoon to dry it out and inside the wires were colour-coded Red, Black and Green, bliss. It made far more sense.

Before WW2 Black was sometimes earth and Green was sometimes a phase and i think BT used red for earth? 

6 minutes ago, Temp said:

Before WW2 Black was sometimes earth and Green was sometimes a phase and i think BT used red for earth? 

We buy most of our stuff from Italy, white is generally ground/earth, blue is always positive.

2 hours ago, billt said:

Quite a few people are red/green colour blind which gives rise to an obvious safety issue.

Harmonising colours throughout europe was a good idea, unless you're a member of the ERG.

Which was why you could not be an electrician if colour blind. I believe the HSE still says you cannot be a electrician if colour-blind however I think you can still actually train as an electrician but you are meant to be aware of your limitations and take steps. 

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

You can get some lovely red & black T&E esque cable from ZA...

Sadly not quite the same as our old stuff.

Not long after the new colours came in I found I could sell lengths if red & black removed from a rewire on ebay for more than the cost of new cable.

27 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Not long after the new colours came in I found I could sell lengths if red & black removed from a rewire on ebay for more than the cost of new cable.

I got given the best part of a reel of 2.5 a short while back oddly enough... 

3 hours ago, Carrerahill said:

Which was why you could not be an electrician if colour blind. I believe the HSE still says you cannot be a electrician if colour-blind however I think you can still actually train as an electrician but you are meant to be aware of your limitations and take steps. 

A colour blindness test was part of the medical before I could start my apprenticeship.

6 hours ago, epsilonGreedy said:

Reminds me of my Dad and one of his early warnings about the dangers of electricity.

Electric wires, boy pliers, blue flashes.. boy ashes!

He spent some time working on radar and had a few "electric thrills" in his time.

35 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Being left handed is probably just as risky.

What an insult. I'm left handed! When doing DIY electrics I just turn the sockets upside down so the earth pin is closest to the skirting, that sorts any polarity issues. Please always seek professional advice before following mine.

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Gus Potter said:

What an insult. I'm left handed! When doing DIY electrics I just turn the sockets upside down so the earth pin is closest to the skirting, that sorts any polarity issues. Please always seek professional advice before following mine.

Ground being nearest to ground, makes perfect sense...saves the electricity falling out of the bottom of the plug too. 

?

• Haha 1