Alu windows into timber frame

hotnuts21

HI all,

Im buying Aluminium windows for out TF extension. They are Alitherm-800 flush windows. And were not a great deal more than some UPVC quotes we got.

The suppliers have said they can provide a sill for the window and I just want to check that what I am doing is right, more of a sanity check as this will be a first !

This is a build up of our TF, 140mm deep, with wool insulation between the studs. 60mm wood board insulation on the outside, battened and counter battened for vertical timber cladding.
The diagram below is correct except it misses one of the battens and shows 40mm instead of 60mm woodfibre board.

1, measuring the aperture in the TF and deduct 10mm allowing for 5mm gap all round. Gap to be filled with expanding foam.

2, Install the window just inside where the OSB would be to allow full support underneath and keep it within the insulation.  

3, Ensure the sill is long enough to go out and over the cladding/battens.

4, Cut the wood fibre insulation to same aperture as window hole, bring cladding around upto window.

5, Cut membrane and fold back into TF aperture
6, Place DPM under window and out over the cladding
7, Fix window with straps to TF studs.

One window is huge, the size of a door and a half so I presume the glass comes seperately to allow for fitting the frame first!

Thanks
Paul

build up.png

windows.png