Using IP20 lights outdoors

PeterW

As it says really ... looking at options for outdoor lights under the soffits and quite like some smallish LED panel lights. They are the usual type of the cast aluminium light with a separate PSU. 

For longevity I would swap the psu for a waterproof 120w unit which is far more robust than the small supplied units, but how would an IP20 rated LED fare in an outdoor soffit..?

I am thinking that I would potentially put a bead of clear CT1 between the casing and the acrylic disk to stop and direct moisture or bugs getting in the edges, but is there any other reason not to do this as they are technically SELV units and all the 12v wiring would be hidden in the soffit boxes. 

In terms of regulations, then an ELV/SELV light doesn't need to be protected.  All that matters is whether the light will have a reasonable service life. 

IP20 is only protection from things the size of your finger getting in, so when tucked under a soffit  I'd suspect that spiders and the like are more likely to cause problems than moisture.  Our incoming 'phone connection has a junction box under the soffit that's certainly not water proof, but does have a tight enough fitting lid and cable entries to keep spiders out.  A bit of sealant to keep bugs out would be fine.

Where's the power supply going to go?  The IP65/66 ones I've used in a couple of locations have a fairly short mains lead, so the connection has to either be made inside the house (in a suitable environment) or they need a cable joint that offers the same degree of protection.

The ELV LED panel lights I used in our kitchen and hall would almost certainly be fine under a soffit, I think, as although they only have an IP20 rating it's clear that they are better than that, as they look pretty dust proof to me.  I suspect that rating them at IP20 is just an easy way of avoiding an expensive set of environmental approval testing, as IP20 only requires a quick visual check.

10 hours ago, PeterW said:

As it says really ... looking at options for outdoor lights under the soffits and quite like some smallish LED panel lights. They are the usual type of the cast aluminium light with a separate PSU. 

For longevity I would swap the psu for a waterproof 120w unit which is far more robust than the small supplied units, but how would an IP20 rated LED fare in an outdoor soffit..?

I am thinking that I would potentially put a bead of clear CT1 between the casing and the acrylic disk to stop and direct moisture or bugs getting in the edges, but is there any other reason not to do this as they are technically SELV units and all the 12v wiring would be hidden in the soffit boxes. 

firstly

I'd avoid any type of selv light like the plague,

energy inefficient, and one more thing to go wrong,

the only thing you need to be concerned about with putting lights in a soffit is

suitable for the area they are installed in

almost any interior fitting [of reasonable quality] is almost suitable for installation on a soffit,