Limestone vs porcelain?

I have used limestone tiling in a new bathroom, on both the floor and the shower walls.

Very happy with it except that some tiles in the shower are looking darker because they have absorbed water.

This shows more at the bottom, where most splashing occurs.

Despite several coats of marble sealer, there must always be some tiny way in at grout, and then it is sealed in and takes several weeks non-use to return to normal.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, nod said:

I use both 

Porcelain is much much more durable

Ive used limestone on floors 

But wouldn’t use it on heavy trafficking areas Great in bathrooms though 

Thanks!

It’s for outside and up a slope. Not greatly used but does get a lot of the weather - sun, wind and rain, so we’re conscious of fading. 

3 hours ago, saveasteading said:

I have used limestone tiling in a new bathroom, on both the floor and the shower walls.

Very happy with it except that some tiles in the shower are looking darker because they have absorbed water.

This shows more at the bottom, where most splashing occurs.

Despite several coats of marble sealer, there must always be some tiny way in at grout, and then it is sealed in and takes several weeks non-use to return to normal.

Thanks for your reply. 

It’s actually for outside so although showering isn’t an issue, the driving rain will be! 

1 hour ago, Mandana said:

Thanks!

It’s for outside and up a slope. Not greatly used but does get a lot of the weather - sun, wind and rain, so we’re conscious of fading. 

Porcelain is better for outside 

• Thanks 1

One of the landscapers had a good idea today which was to wet each of the samples we can and stick them in the freezer. I did that (wet them twice) and I got my answer as to what we can have on the wheelchair slope … and it’s not porcelain! If I want to break my coccyx again or have even more titanium in my spine then porcelain would be fine, but no! The porcelain was an ice rink!! Far too dangerous, so instead we will put the same as we’re putting on the garage slopes - Marshall’s Driveline Nova course. 

Not aesthetically as beautiful, but far safer.

I have to admit, I have a limestone in a rear patio and I love it. Its soft underfoot, non slip and is not in any way coarse or unpleasant to walk on barefoot. 

In contrast, I have fitted porcelain in a small patch at the front door of a rental property and even though it was sold as a non slip rated product, it's nowhere near as good as the limestone I have at my own house.

There is something I prefer in natural stone too, but maybe that's just me.

On 04/10/2021 at 20:33, nod said: