Verge undercloacking

Nugs

Hi All,

New here and looking for some guidance.... Recently had the verges on my house reset but the other night 5 tiles blew off in the wind. I've told the roofer about it but he's going for an angle that someone else has been up there painting the roof and has done damage. I've checked all the battens from the loft and there's none damaged and on further inspection (dangling my phone out the window on a pole) I managed to get the attached photo. The undercloacking doesn't go under the battens, there's no nails holding it down, the battens seem short, there's no nails in the tiles and a thin bead of mortar sitting on the outside of the gable wall egde. Looking for advise, is this ok? Seems a little precarious to me. What would you have done different?PXL_20211003_210702247.thumb.jpg.c0340d50ff4fb33ccdd67c9378908a4b.jpg

Looks wrong to me. The battens should extend out else what are the tiles fixed to? Pretty sure they should all be clipped down too. 

The image shows what the roofer was doing with mine.

20200712_100711.jpg

Edited by LA3222

1 minute ago, LA3222 said:

Looks wrong to me. The battens should extend out else what are the tiles fixed to? Pretty sure they should all be clipped down too.

I agree, battens are too short, they should be longer so the tiles are nailed down, on a verge this should be every row, (not sure that it's a BS requirement) but I don't know any "roofer" that wouldn't,  they should be clipped as well, If you had barge boards you could use a dry verge system to hold the tiles in place from wind.

But in your situation tiles nailed every row and clipped would be my strategy.   

how can those tiles be mechanically fixed to a batten that is not actually there ?

To quote NHBC guidelines

"Verge clips should be in full contact with the tile to resist uplift, nailed twice to battens and sized to ensure that they are in direct contact with the top surface of the verge tile."

https://nhbc-standards.co.uk/7-roofs/7-2-pitched-roofs/7-2-19-fixing-tiles-and-slates/

• Like 1

Agreed, short short laths and no way to fix the tiles, relying on gravity and a bit of gobbo to prevent wind getting under them. You could add clips to hold ‘clamp’ tiles to each other but still only self weight holding them down

Thanks all, appreciate the advice. Sounds like it all needs replacing. I'm thinking maybe a wide 300mm fibre cement undercloak spanning the cavity wall (not sure about thermal bridging though?) with the shorter than usual battens then overlapping and nailed down. Then fit verge clips and bed the tiles down with a good 100mm strip of 1:3 mortar + unibond. Any better ideas?