Walk-in shower sizing

In our ensuite, we'll be having a walk-in shower. The shower tray has been purchased (1500 x 900mm) and am looking for a suitably sized screen. I currently have two options I am considering:

1) 1000mm fixed screen. No deflector

2) 900mm fixed screen. 300mm deflector

The room won't be a tanked wet room, so whilst splashing is fine, I wouldn't want excessive water escaping during a shower. I'd like to go for the 1000mm fixed panel for aesthetic reasons, but am a little concerned for that reason. The area around the shower opening will be tiled with electric UFH, so it would dry, but just wanting to avoid the nuisance of managing. Our water pressure is decent.

The compromise would be a 1000mm screen with a 100-150mm fixed deflector (not overly keen on the hinged deflector. We need that in black trim, and struggling to find an option for this that doesn't break the bank.

Does anyone have the experience to say that the 1000mm fixed panel would be fine?

Depends on your shower head and how people use it. I like an overhead rain shower, my GF tends to use the handheld but leaving it in the holder and pointing the spray so that it hits the opposite wall.

1000mm is a decent size glass screen and shouldn’t be any problem

Our trays are 1400x900. I went with a 900 screen with a hinged flipper, and a 600 as an end panel. I'm pleased to say that the chicane/ overlap between the flipper and the end panel stops just about everything.

DSC_2208.JPG

• Like 1

We have two 900x1400 showers. An en-suite one with a 900 mm screen and a 300mm hinged deflector and the other with a conventional sliding 650mm door +650mm fixed.

With the sliding door I put the shower rail and head on the long wall. It’s a far more spacious experience with all the extra elbow room compared to the one where your back is to the shorter wall. The en-suite does tend to let a puddle of water flow out unless you have the shower head quite vertical too. 

3 hours ago, markc said:

Depends on your shower head and how people use it. I like an overhead rain shower, my GF tends to use the handheld but leaving it in the holder and pointing the spray so that it hits the opposite wall.

1000mm is a decent size glass screen and shouldn’t be any problem

Thanks. This will be our setup. Apparently an overhead shower doesn't wet woman's hair ??‍♂️

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Iceverge said:

We have two 900x1400 showers. An en-suite one with a 900 mm screen and a 300mm hinged deflector and the other with a conventional sliding 650mm door +650mm fixed.

With the sliding door I put the shower rail and head on the long wall. It’s a far more spacious experience with all the extra elbow room compared to the one where your back is to the shorter wall. The en-suite does tend to let a puddle of water flow out unless you have the shower head quite vertical too. 

What type of shower head do you have on your ensuite that wets the floor? Is it angled down, like an overhead, or pointing out towards the direction of the opening on a rail?

I am looking at placing the rail on the longer wall - maybe 400mm from the end wall - so the water is pointing towards the 1000mm screen and the overhead on the shorter wall pointing directly down.

I'm expecting some spray/splashing to get out, but definitely want to be avoiding puddles as you mentioned

6 hours ago, djcdan said:

What type of shower head do you have on your ensuite that wets the floor? Is it angled down, like an overhead, or pointing out towards the direction of the opening on a rail?

I am looking at placing the rail on the longer wall - maybe 400mm from the end wall - so the water is pointing towards the 1000mm screen and the overhead on the shorter wall pointing directly down.

I'm expecting some spray/splashing to get out, but definitely want to be avoiding puddles as you mentioned

Grohe Tempesta 100 

Grohe Tempesta 100 shower set 27795001 chrome, 600mm, 4 spray modes

I think our shower tray may be a contributing factor too. It's the same as this one. 

1200 x 900 Anthracite Slate Shower Tray - ETile

One like @dpmiller has that is designed for an open screen is probably better. 

• 3 weeks later...

We are also trying to decide screens.

Using 900x1400 trays.

ideally we would have a single screen but I’m sure water is still going to get out.

Probably going to go with a flipper to deflect it as our bathroom does not lend its self well to the back screen

Not ideal aesthetically but just know the wife and son will make a mess!

example from today but with 800x1200 tray

CD6-DCC5-D-7-A56-4-DC3-93-BA-133-DB6073-
6-D60-AF4-D-9718-4-B16-80-E9-0-E2254-E4-

CD6-DCC5-D-7-A56-4-DC3-93-BA-133-DB6073-
6-D60-AF4-D-9718-4-B16-80-E9-0-E2254-E4-

Edited by Dan1983

• 5 weeks later...