Heating System help

Cotswoldrunner

HI Guys and Girls 
Wondering if you can help. 

I have a property Refurb/not new build. it is a 1970's property i will be upgrading insulation where feasible but wont be like a new build. 

The property is remote and currently on Oil, the entire heating system will need to be removed. I have previously had an ASHP and solar array with oversized radiators which worked ok in my last house but not amazing (older house). 

I am torn with what to do with heating and hot water?

1) Reinstall oil system setup, accept that i will have to live with a tank and organising oil deliveries up a very awkward access, couple of concerns cost of oil over the next 10 years???, also regulations with oil boilers am i going to end up in 10-12 years having to convert to a new heating system. 

2) Go for an ASHP and accept that i will have to have oversize rads (UFH not an option due to flood prevention set up in the house) i also dont have space for solar panels on the roof  (have multiple dormers) have considered solar tiles but its a clay roof , and wont have it installed before the end of RHI so potentially will have high upfront costs and ongoing costs as no PV to offset. 

3) Use something like the Dimplex Edel for the hot water (HWC with integral air source heat pump) and then use electric radiators such as sunflow radiators, this will reduce the upfront costs but will have high running cots. 

Has anyone got any suggestions and comments? I have a meeting with our M&E Designer in the week but would welcome your ideas/comments. 

Edited by Cotswoldrunner
published before completed

38 minutes ago, Cotswoldrunner said:

i will be upgrading insulation where feasible but wont be like a new build.

Will you be trying to improve the airtightness at the same time?

39 minutes ago, Cotswoldrunner said:

Has anyone got any suggestions and comments

Depending on house layout and heat load, have a look at Air to Air Heat Pumps. 

What are you doing about DHW heating i.e. stored HW or instantaneous (like a combi).

Where feasible worries me, best approach is fabric first, solar can’t really contribute towards heating as it is least available when most needed.

I live without heating. No bills either ?

direct electric is 100% efficient, heat pumps 300 or 400% efficient 

oil stinks!  Bottled gas could work for cooking and hot water. 

interested to hear what he says,. 

7 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Will you be trying to improve the airtightness at the same time?

What are you doing about DHW heating i.e. stored HW or instantaneous (like a combi).

Roof, Windows, Doors will be done along with filling as many gaps as possible around service penetrations.

There are 3 bathrooms and a cloakroom, Utility and kitchen so stored water would be the plan. 

1 minute ago, Cotswoldrunner said:

Not in this new house in our last house 4 bed 3 bathrooms we had a 250Ltr cylinder with an Air source heatpump. 

So nothing really changed then, so what did you use in the old place?

You could replace some radiators with skirting radiators.

Edited by SteamyTea