Roof level vent - 1810 single storey house

tvrulesme

I'm trying to identify what these vents/air bricks are for on a house I am in the process of buying. I don't see anything matching internally. The walls are solid, not cavity so it's not a cavity vent.

So is it a vent for the loft space or a vent which has been blocked off internally? There are two or three of these.

Asking because the house is suffering from damp so thinking of opening these up if they have been blocked off.

Thanks in advance. 

vent.thumb.jpg.ae862e156cdde831395f46f9dfdec941.jpg

I reckon the internals have been blocked up. Just opening up these will help to clear damp but really needs air to flow rather than just draughts. 
where is the damp? Generally or at the bottom of walls?

2 minutes ago, markc said:

I reckon the internals have been blocked up. Just opening up these will help to clear damp but really needs air to flow rather than just draughts. 
where is the damp? Generally or at the bottom of walls?

Thanks Mark. Looks like they have been blocked up at the front and the rear of the house so with all opened up this would probably create the air flow?

Damp mostly at the bottom of the walls but this according to damp survey is due to raised ground levels outside I need to dig out amongst other things. 

22 minutes ago, tvrulesme said:

Thanks Mark. Looks like they have been blocked up at the front and the rear of the house so with all opened up this would probably create the air flow?

Damp mostly at the bottom of the walls but this according to damp survey is due to raised ground levels outside I need to dig out amongst other things. 

Sounds plausible and if the ground has been raised, when you dig out you may find there are bottom vents that are also covered.

10 minutes ago, ETC said:

Looks like a larder vent to me. Usually have them to vent an internal cupboard to store food in and usually blocked when fridges and non-perishable goods were introduced.

Interesting. Also very possible. The property was at one point a general store and also a fish and chip shop in it's lifetime.