Windows - Going round in circles

crispy_wafer

Starting to lose the will with windows.  Just blowing off a bit of steam thread.

All 3g

Local supplier 29k for Smart systems Alitherm 600 plus Curtain walling, and doors for 29k

Velfac v200e 36k for the same

Idealcombi futura+ 41k

and just had another from Zylefenster for 46k

Had Idealcombi round for a chat, when there initial quote was 35k, turns out they'd made a mistake on installation costs to the tune of 6k...  Liked the windows and the system to be honest, and at 35k was ready to sign on the dotted line, just seemed to be everything I wanted and more...

Going to look at some Velfac next week I hope if time allows. 

Not mega impressed with published U values for Smarts Alitherm 600, I havent found any frame values however they mention values with glass so suspect the glazing is making up for the deficiancies of the frame.

I guess there's a difference in window systems in that list so not exactly like for like. 

Anyone with experience of the above systems like to chime in with positives and negatives of their windows.

Going round in circles with the decision process, money is a major driver, however I want windows that perform reasonably well, but this isnt a passive build by any means, I don't want to spend a wedge and be disappointed, they've got to look acceptable, be fitted well and more importantly last, I don't want to replacing windows in my lifetime. 

Looking for something that I can get and forget about, I very much doubt I'll be sat in my room thinking I'm glad I spent xxxx on brand b when brand a cost less and perform almost as well in the real world, I'll be too interested in the next project, as will Mrs CW.  Chances are I could have upvc and be quite happy.

With windows U values am I venturing down a rabbit hole of diminishing returns for my cash.

arghhh.  my head is spinning, and I'm no closed to deciding on windows that I was 6 months ago.

Velfac and IdealCombi are very similar and part of the same group.  They have ali external sash and timber internal frame.  I have used both and they are OK.  I prefer the IC as they have an insulated bit near the glass, so less chance that the timber will suffer with condensation.  Rationel are also worth trying.  Same group but installers rate them slightly better.

Sliding doors IC are OK if the sliders are smaller.  Rationel do lift and slide which is loads better.  The IC fitting was fairly crap.  We did Velfac ourselves.

• Like 1

I am in the same boat (without a rudder!), can’t decide how much to invest in windows. I like alu-clad systems but concerned by cost, long lead times and horror stories about fitting. I am inclined towards a local aluminium fabricator who will supply and install ... and be within arms reach to remedy any faults if needed. Can’t make a recommendation but I have done quite a bit of due diligence on them, PM me if you want yet another option ...

• Like 2

8 hours ago, crispy_wafer said:

Zylefenster for 46k

Give me a shout, happy to discuss with you. Not sure exactly who you are but got a rough idea. It will be something I can look at.

Edited by craig

• 4 months later...
12 hours ago, IanMcP said:

@crispy_wafer

how did you get on ? 

I'm looking at Velfac and Internorm , wildly different prices and if Velfac does what it says it's a huge cost saving over Internorm.

It would have been nice, but ultimately I had a budget, and the big european brands were too expensive for me, maybe if I had less glass, doors whatever, the product offerings were very nice though.  In the end I settled on a nice uk manufactured ali product, which suited my budget and the mrs approval, not only that, it was one that multiple companies can offer so there was a good amount of competition to secure my business.  Still waiting on fitment so this chapter like many others isnt finished yet.

On 01/10/2021 at 11:09, crispy_wafer said:

Starting to lose the will with windows.  Just blowing off a bit of steam thread.

All 3g

Local supplier 29k for Smart systems Alitherm 600 plus Curtain walling, and doors for 29k

Velfac v200e 36k for the same

Idealcombi futura+ 41k

and just had another from Zylefenster for 46k

Had Idealcombi round for a chat, when there initial quote was 35k, turns out they'd made a mistake on installation costs to the tune of 6k...  Liked the windows and the system to be honest, and at 35k was ready to sign on the dotted line, just seemed to be everything I wanted and more...

Going to look at some Velfac next week I hope if time allows. 

Not mega impressed with published U values for Smarts Alitherm 600, I havent found any frame values however they mention values with glass so suspect the glazing is making up for the deficiancies of the frame.

I guess there's a difference in window systems in that list so not exactly like for like. 

Anyone with experience of the above systems like to chime in with positives and negatives of their windows.

Going round in circles with the decision process, money is a major driver, however I want windows that perform reasonably well, but this isnt a passive build by any means, I don't want to spend a wedge and be disappointed, they've got to look acceptable, be fitted well and more importantly last, I don't want to replacing windows in my lifetime. 

Looking for something that I can get and forget about, I very much doubt I'll be sat in my room thinking I'm glad I spent xxxx on brand b when brand a cost less and perform almost as well in the real world, I'll be too interested in the next project, as will Mrs CW.  Chances are I could have upvc and be quite happy.

With windows U values am I venturing down a rabbit hole of diminishing returns for my cash.

arghhh.  my head is spinning, and I'm no closed to deciding on windows that I was 6 months ago.

If you want to make yourself feel a little bit better and to avoid some of the traps that we fell into read my post on the thread 'Window order checking / comparing suppliers' it's a continuing saga and is nowhere near the end of the debacle. 

• 1 month later...

Updating this more as a bit of a progress milestone.

Windows and doors are starting to be fitted this week.  Not as exotic as some, but with a limited budget, and money not going as far these days, we found some windows we could quite happily live with.

eUIXosgf2chwyYG2KprhpDKpMueLB-1ZWmMtLUjSd8GELZxzA6MHokwfL81q3RXTRDZmxkg6ibalZRVP7-oV0gXqBRhlcCNXvoKG8xhSMPXtUuTSBZBnMmCvW_JmrZnY8dxQvMqJqDmU8of9LqH9LWvbVFZUdEfa3g4VrOtYerfu6lED7kf2MuSnA9GlE34XPVkdakAVSKzTJEjAn0tmCwN-Rk2ZOZVAX8FQySZFzsb9MJA9rD8DTzOYJG8PQHKaivGPyZtoIJTkfnN3PJC338wR5pIYOU-CTsaGqX6BdluRCjlCKQnuinNJvbyuggbCsq148inygLmxiMXRzmrZBjSMhMStablFXug5sIsUf9uqQeQ--YDqjPyHnrWxueBGLUMihQcyXY9KwpeZmgpnHTRMiU7mKgNAmi3wUTpYswtF4zdbDvSKY0R-CTdqPMtPKggpnYE2MHGIOWluxiK7Q7rgqV9cQ2CzDPT6GES-1zTlujnj99rjIK_bIGXmBgoBGbOjZCe8g9JaxBoEi9uLBRC2bZAt4l_aFnbkcOtpKaFXAwGXvNaJbWzLwqnnFj3Up54IUBg5nVpwmPpooDet3jDsIovybYOxjASEQ0S7dalw8D-XZnyTK8YU-B8Zok2peQtgzFLTmAJ-EESfZFTa2RKe702ynCSA_n6lnc9J_6ttBVBESwj9dIWCLNxjHwfjBIdHIalHiEaCHbJi3MlBIRbX4UP_7TLfm2T5FRVuwDKkyZ9OyjXwDhvCOu2K=w834-h625-no?authuser=0K_rwp1yU9VXG1TOwXv4AIsMfVRsSy5GTljqhISdOahWg8_tkSvZEdxXqjJTKaEmr74sm-TgdI4X_0XmhqjYaSNWVpDwiRERIZ-HQav-EmRqEqRu2hsQYp07ygPLvsrHDZ_5_YER-rjJSkP3tbS1RwH4JBfvkKnMSDJAEnq8HttjxZO5eVpgm9JSVq_m4HGqP6VS7FSJ1TSvsk58gZhHNIgGTJKq0_dqqG-wJY73H5eIjWgpewqAU6LwZ8VBXXqOKSgsPUI8zOvoKdG74HwpmbS98Pko_7cThK98fG1NY2L2AXro7G2esL8XXwKux5wKGfNIadrJq_CSW-nucjFTiiIf330GLIf_m8OpDxb_ZqVrd_Tg2_qEefhx1xH3tP9S_4P54ngv0TFXNLg-G3_SDz7iER9pECG3ARwlicBLqxB6Uy3o1cBGDnEldDwi3RMx_5s7ufeLKixV7A_aCAGGsdQBZG3LyuSV38XFHh4F_ivZr1rB3VFYbfrckLtjZLcyvXu7zwOVBWi9-HVu4sSbQnrnezc-qRl8bJqYQ06fcXVEfqrFQR2Sf5tFpR_72xdFzKZXNX9DOz7Fi3poEBXUEs4iFEPRDpIxsZ96JTTpoDeVbM5PDUR3nWCpZ259dPE0cop4Se8-bEYP5QbyFcZT4k6_bAqKEgE81F5rxYeABKYFnkwOrd8gTY-Lx8Jf8uAsnow09nfkW2jmMGujttiXeg9D8DYsvTZwJswSRB7TGO6vy4In0iUU74f5MWUkj=w834-h625-no?authuser=0

soJx8dV-zx7tSa0twtQ0L1ecVZAcgYwgas4tCY11obZWfIbkHjUA6hVE2GhGXj0LiHspW9g5Xzd8HeZ2NYzQ7KJ8YyQhhWwI_qZnblE4zXsZg87HCkcTNT60emfEKNBCxY7jd-kXW8CiUXbcpq3gj_G5HcQoepTCTHGMQnHoDpMdwVynD2AtaksdOC-GQ2gjF66OszEm0w6RGSNQ9sei2vUfqLxArxKqNN-1_EUIfUx2mhiOfwLhOO0GU9VgfLCR-Pnj0kHSRC_YqndO08fMVToBSaABUNnqYMVrtado3Jm8SqMu_P3oXGEMWQis57I4To0GxqkbysG79pet6YbIw2vN8Vesd_RU84PXTTtEPBoXq_2O6xDb6cYjP58Em5ocnOM2qvwy43aGJJKTRlyYsNxOMu26eJ5EKYXno-1SMRszIHf3GbIuyq_DsT7bKD43blg9CU5xEIQ7vVPcQJjBm07qNcCCix8NcFoLBOaZOeH2nqq9tIq3CgJVgXHHTfWXLtRd_ETpFDRYletJrp-6ZCeSgFLwuwGA1Qv2TZ-4yGRJQkPSbNAZbCa51S0fV_s7XNLP3ZeFrQ4WdTgYAS8ja42F_3GF_Ei5F56p2V8sqkEe4H2yXhuqAYZP7fB3ivvFkYSGdPKDADjIzWdhxh_E92ZzCy7C07qF4mBgeNOyJj4b1YN_YLzxJsoUOH64w-2uL6eQlj7qFuK9ypVOMbsYp4xK7e2iv85fxpbYsJjWVkR1WFEAKbT4xHrwAGCq=w834-h625-no?authuser=0

• Like 1