Is this blockwork ok?

WWilts

Triggered an idea for an extension of that detail to protect the non-joisted part of the first floor void. 

In addition to  polythene or similar to replace joist caps, drape another length of membrane across the top of the wall from one joist to its neighbour. Overhanging the inner leaf on both faces. Then after ceiling board and floor board installed, pull the overhangs in and tape to the respective boards, as well as to the airtight membrane or tape at the respective wall junctions.

Treating the entire floor void as a quasi-joist. For those who are constrained to have no more than plasterboard on dabs.

The tonytray does all round   

• Like 1

On 30/09/2021 at 23:27, WWilts said:

Inner leaf of external cavity wall. Mortar mix 5:1, blocks are 7N aircrete.

Doesn't look too good but that's a layperson view. Specified: LABC warranty standards. If not passable, what is the way to remedy work already done? Just pointing enough?

And how DO brickies get mortar in perpends?

inner leaf blockwork.jpg

Not nice mate - hopefully this crew aren't proposing to do any facing brick for you?  This is my internal block if you want to compare.

20210210_121628.jpg

• Like 2

On 30/09/2021 at 23:27, WWilts said:

Inner leaf of external cavity wall. Mortar mix 5:1, blocks are 7N aircrete.

Doesn't look too good but that's a layperson view. Specified: LABC warranty standards. If not passable, what is the way to remedy work already done? Just pointing enough?

And how DO brickies get mortar in perpends?

inner leaf blockwork.jpg

Are they Ytong 650’s as they are longer than a normal block. 

If that’s inside face then it’s crap - ask for it to be pointed and full perps as that’s about as sealed as a seive… 

• Like 1

Just pull them on it & ask for the joints to be kept full in future. 
Let’s bear in mind that everyone can have a bad day people,before we erect the Gallows,eh? 
@Faz your lads want to bring the insulation right up to the reveals-bit short in places there. 

Edited by Brickie
Typoo
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Faz said:

Not nice mate - hopefully this crew aren't proposing to do any facing brick for you?  This is my internal block if you want to compare.

20210210_121628.jpg

subframes for all the structural openings speed up brickes and help with accuracy. Very cheap and you have to fit cav closers at some point anyway.

I think this was my second ever attempt at blockwork. I used a Bricky tool and all joints were full filled. I then pointed with a mortar gun and brushed level. I knew nothing about air tightness then but imagine it helped.

27_zps6ff28fbc.thumb.jpg.be49bd1b755ef651da19f31130d9a283.jpg

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Faz said:

This is my internal block if you want to compare.

Very smart, but for a perfect job should not the cut blocks be away from the opening jamb, , and only full or half blocks used there?

ie small cuts are within the main area, as you do have on the alternate courses.

12 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

Very smart, but for a perfect job should not the cut blocks be away from the opening jamb, , and only full or half blocks used there?

ie small cuts are within the main area, as you do have on the alternate courses.

they will be fine to fix a frame to.

14 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

They are not cuts - they return into the garden room.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Brickie said:

Just pull them on it & ask for the joints to be kept full in future. 
Let’s bear in mind that everyone can have a bad day

Makes sense.
Overall good co-operation, good service. Don't want to be over-fussy unless it makes a real difference. 

Part of me has the idea that the cavity face of the inner leaf is better off with a bit of air as additional insulation in place of mortar. As long as the internal face of the inner leaf is air tight. Concave joints best for that?

Perhaps that idea is nonsense.

10 minutes ago, WWilts said:

Yes, very

In that case, count your blessings and speak to them, make it a joke … you may seem a bit fussy but it’s your home and you would like …xyz!

we are all human, we all have good and bad days and we all want our days to go smoothly.

to quote the Advert … It’s Good to Talk.

• Like 2