Chop saw/mitre saw

CotswoldDoItUpper

I’m looking to buy an electric saw thingymigiggy for cutting mitres on skirtings amongst other things after a chippy quoted £30/m to attach the 30m of skirtings I already have. (Nearly had a heart attack at that quote!) 

any recommendations or things to watch out for?

Skirtings are 194mm tall and 18mm thick, will do other things too but skirtings are the primary thing for the moment. 

I have a cheap compound chop saw.  While it works well for general cutting bits of wood up, I found it did not work very well for getting an accurate clean mitre joint for the corner of skirting board.  I ended up making a cutting jig and cutting them by hand with a nice new fresh sharp hand panel saw.

44 minutes ago, CotswoldDoItUpper said:

Jeez, but sure I have the time/patience/skill for that!! I was just going to measure each joint and adjust the mitre to suit…. Is this terrible?!?

It doesn't take that long. You can cut the straight bit with the chop saw so it's only the top curved section you use a coping saw on. I've seen guys use a jigsaw to do it but its a quick way to loose your fingers.

13 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

It doesn't take that long. You can cut the straight bit with the chop saw so it's only the top curved section you use a coping saw on. I've seen guys use a jigsaw to do it but its a quick way to loose your fingers.

Ok, so stupid question time, the external corners are still mitred? I can’t see this method working on externals!

8 minutes ago, CotswoldDoItUpper said:

Ok, so stupid question time, the external corners are still mitred? I can’t see this method working on externals!

Correct - scribing only works for internal joins. 

Edited by MJNewton

If you use mitre fix on the external corners it's much easier to get a perfect finish. Apply the glue and activator and push the 2 bits together and wait a minute till it's set then move into place and nail home. As they are glued together they won't move about so you won't end up with a gap along the front edge.