Old Chalet bodge up

Drums617

Hi,glad to be on here,,,,I'm no builder etc, but I'm  trying to repair an old delapidated  chalet cheaply at a property we have just moved into. It's for my son to make music and record in. Nearly six months after veiwing said property, cheaply, is not going to happen at 40 quid  for a sheet of ply!. Any little snipets of help will be apreciated.

My first question may be a basic one, but I can't see the answer on Youtube.

If I use metal stud work do I use wooden joists still or is there a metal substitute? 

Thanks.

31 minutes ago, Drums617 said:

Is there such a thing,surely 30 quid a time now? That looks great though.

Hope so, I'm due to collect fourteen 1500x1000 pallets!

The shed in the photos was made by someone with little or no woodworking skills when he started. Just nudged in the right direction. 

8 hours ago, Onoff said:

Get any free pallets can you?

7 hours ago, Drums617 said:

Is there such a thing,surely 30 quid a time now?

Up here on the west coast of  Scotland I can get as many pallets as I want for nothing from various suppliers like electrical wholesalers, garden centres, builders merchants, etc etc. You just need to drive round and have a chat with them or put an advert on a face book page. 

2 hours ago, Cpd said:

Up here on the west coast of  Scotland I can get as many pallets as I want for nothing from various suppliers like electrical wholesalers, garden centres, builders merchants, etc etc. You just need to drive round and have a chat with them or put an advert on a face book page. 

I'll be burning them if my heating oil delivery doesn't get through! ?

Pallets are worth nothing if you want to sell them. Suppliers charge you a deposit for them ten wont take them back. Therefore there are lots of them unwanted, especially by merchants and on sites. 

any builder would rather give them away than skip them.

just beware of the very clever minimalist ones that are made of very skinny timber and mdf, cardboard/chipboard.

14 hours ago, Drums617 said:

Is there such a thing, surely 30 quid a time now? That looks great though.

Where have you been asking?

Non-reusable pallets are a waste product of the logistics industry. The country is awash with them. 

I build log stores with them and break up into kindling or use the big blocks as firewood.

The blue/red/green stamped ones are reusable pallets which will stay in service for x number of trips however they are used by logistics routes where return journeys or repeat services can keep the moving back and forward.

I know a security guard our business estate and gathers 400-500 odd at a time then sells them for a pound each. 

Bigger pallets can yield decent lengths of "shed" wood. Can be a bit of a mission to break them up successfully without a pallet buster.....like the one I made:

(It now has the addition of a couple of strategically placed springs to stop the angles tipping forward). 

Edited by Onoff
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Carrerahill said:

Where have you been asking?

Non-reusable pallets are a waste product of the logistics industry. The country is awash with them. 

I build log stores with them and break up into kindling or use the big blocks as firewood.

The blue/red/green stamped ones are reusable pallets which will stay in service for x number of trips however they are used by logistics routes where return journeys or repeat services can keep the moving back and forward.

I know a security guard our business estate and gathers 400-500 odd at a time then sells them for a pound each. 

I haven't, but I am surprised people still gve them away,,, my query was about joists on galvanised c stud, which seems difficult to find anyway at a reasonable price,and get delivered. I partly wanted to avoid sending 50% back due to twists in wooden 3x2, lol. Now as we have moved to a house that is heated by a log burner they might be useful,wish I could get gas though.Thanks.

On 29/09/2021 at 21:05, Drums617 said:

Hi,glad to be on here,,,,I'm no builder etc, but I'm  trying to repair an old delapidated  chalet cheaply at a property we have just moved into. It's for my son to make music and record in. Nearly six months after veiwing said property, cheaply, is not going to happen at 40 quid  for a sheet of ply!. Any little snipets of help will be apreciated.

My first question may be a basic one, but I can't see the answer on Youtube.

If I use metal stud work do I use wooden joists still or is there a metal substitute? 

Thanks.

Yes you can mix and match. Yes there is a metal substitute for timber joists.. see Steadmans / Albion Sections for cold formed steel joists etc. You'll find these expensive as anything you buy will be a small order. Often you have to be more wary of condensation / humidity which does not fit well with musical instruments / sound production!

Best to post some photos of what you have and a description of what you really want to do to get best feedback from BH.

Sounds like an interesting thing with the added challenge of a limited budget.

Thanks for that, youv'e answered my question very well, it seems  a logistical nightmare.

C studs found on ebay for £2 each compared to B&Q@ £14 each and they only have 1 lol,  the £2 ones have to be collected from a distance of approx 80  miles, ie hire a van (maybe)this seem common at the mmoment.

Unbelievably B&Q have 3x2 at £5 if it can be delivered,who knows.This maybe what I decide on, speed of completion is of the essence  as my son needs to be in there, it's very complicated, he has health issues.

C stud is suposed to be better for less sound transmission as you prob know, but,,, 

I have used timber (on a garage wall) but not metal, not sure how easy it is to work with.

Basically just going to build a cavity wall 14ft x 8ft internal dim with the outer  shell not touching the inner, supposedly, (uncoupled?) this will be posistioned somewhere in the 7m x 7m wooden shed after I have weather proofed it, sadly on removal of the wall linings all the base timbers are done for as is a lot of the cladding which is hidden behind asbestos, it has an asbestos roof to make matters worse, but that is staying, at upto £100 a mtr removal cost,ie 3 to £5000.  It's going to be a bodge ( I will not have any help what so ever as we have just relocated miles away from freinds and family and James can't help (complicated))just to make it last a while, he/we may move to something more suitable in the futre.

We will have to keep an eye on damp and ventilaton.