Crazy revised quote and timber frame consideration

Hi there, 

We had some plans drawn up by an architect for a 1.6m x 3.8 metre extension to the back of our kitchen. The extension itself is not very big, but allows us to re-jig the current layout so that the utility/WC at the back of the house, will move into the current dining area so that we can use that space as a small snug to overlook the garden. Currently the best view of the garden is taken up by the Utility/WC. 

I'll try and keep this brief: The architect recommended a building company to undertake the whole project. Initial quote was reasonable and within budget, and as the architect's preferred firm we were going to go with them. But they then had an internal problem where it turns out the employee who quoted us had been fudging things and lying about start dates. They apologised and sent us a revised quote and revised start date (months later) - except the revised quote was 90% higher than the original quote. We were expecting costs to rise, but not by that much! We now think they're trying to get rid of us because our project is just too small for them. But we're also now questioning whether the layout change has been over-specced by the architect for our budget. 

We have since been trying to get revised quotes, but obviously, many builders are really busy. We then met with a builder who is a chippie, and he recommended that since the new extension will be clad in wood anyway, we have a timber frame extension to save on costs (and they are available, unlike most brickies). Because he works for himself, but alongside other contractors, going with him would mean:

a) We're switching to timber frame for the small extension.

b) We'd need to self-manage the build and order supplies ourselves... we are able to do that (we both work from home), but I do have some questions: 

Everything I've read about timber frame extensions is really positive, except that in the UK it doesn't seem as common. When I spoke to a structural engineer he suggested that he'd expect to see a masonry extension to a masonry property - but is that just a traditional view? Or are there genuine other concerns about doing such a small extension as a timber frame? 

The building company recommended by the architect have also since quoted for a shell only build - but that takes us right to our budget limit anyway, so don't see this as an option. 

Any input much appreciated. 

13 minutes ago, Jo-jo-jo said:

Everything I've read about timber frame extensions is really positive, except that in the UK it doesn't seem as common. When I spoke to a structural engineer he suggested that he'd expect to see a masonry extension to a masonry property - but is that just a traditional view? Or are there genuine other concerns about doing such a small extension as a timber frame? 

That's not a UK view, that's a very English view, Timber kit is by far the most common construction method in Scotland for domestic work - get an engineer that knows timber frame.

It's a very small extension, but with all the complexities of a big one, so trying to get cheap quotes at the moment is probably very difficult, when there's so much work for builders at the moment, they're all taking the easy ones!

I think you're right about there being so much work @the_r_sole. The chippies seemed genuinely keen to work with us, but warned us that views on timber frame constructions are a bit backwards.

That's really interesting to hear about Scotland, I didn't realise that. I'm not originally from the UK, and a bit perplexed by some of the views here - even though I absolutely love this history of houses here and daren't to take away the character from the original building and even interior. But since a modern extension isn't going to match the existing building anyway, I'm not sure why it needs to be of the same construction? I see English people smacking modern conservatories onto old houses all the time ?

On 29/09/2021 at 13:27, Jo-jo-jo said:

The chippies seemed genuinely keen to work with us, but warned us that views on timber frame constructions are a bit backwards.

They're not wrong. A lot of poor understanding of timber frame out there in England. Where we live I struggled to find a timber/builders merchant that even stocked 38 x 140mm cls so I had to buy it by the pallet. One of my bugbears is poor storage of timber even by suppliers so you can end up with saturated stock for your frame, which is a no-no for a good quality frame (and good internal finish). This is so often overlooked that I recommend if you do go down this route, you make sure the moisture content of the wood is checked before installation - do this yourself or make sure your chippy has the means to do it and does it! However, like @the_r_sole says, find the right engineer (ours specialized in timber and steel frames) and a good chippy with the knowledge and you'll be good to go.