Flows and returns bunched together

vala

So today I finished laying my UFH pipework according to the Wunda design. Went near enough exactly as per their design except in a few circumstances where it was not possible to install the pipework.

However paranoia is setting in with regards to the flow and returns that are bunched together leaving the manifold to go to their relevant zones.

Is there a specific spacing that should be adhered to?

First time installing UFH (well first time installing wet UFH), and I did have on my mind the bend radius (not wanting to kink the pipe) and wanted to keep notches to a minimum and utilise as many existing if possible (of which there were a few).

I have had a search and read through some existing threads, however these seem to be more aimed at screeded applications where the spacings isn't also affected by components such as joists.

Edited by vala

If it's like the M25 ( big manifold ) I insulate each of the flows for the 1st 2m from the manifold, further insulated if the furthest loops are a long way away eg so as to preserve the heat for the zone it is meant to service. Current job I'm on is a big install, with 2 manifolds servicing the same single ground floor, and I've allowed to install around 60m of insulation to keep things in check. All depends if it's a screed or a slab, as with a slab it matters far less. If the thickness of the screed is not great then insulation may compromise the integrity of the screed so needs scrutinising.

17 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

If it's like the M25 ( big manifold ) I insulate each of the flows for the 1st 2m from the manifold, further insulated if the furthest loops are a long way away eg so as to preserve the heat for the zone it is meant to service. Current job I'm on is a big install, with 2 manifolds servicing the same single ground floor, and I've allowed to install around 60m of insulation to keep things in check. All depends if it's a screed or a slab, as with a slab it matters far less. If the thickness of the screed is not great then insulation may compromise the integrity of the screed so needs scrutinising.

Hi Nick,

Its only a 4 port manifold and there's 3 pairs of flow and return that are together for around 3m. Space is tight otherwise I would've split them up a bit, and I couldn't use a run between the adjacent joist as I was concerned about the bend radius.

I've attached a couple of pictures which might help explain what I mean.

IMG_9188.thumb.jpg.137a6f144dff91660b24f6f1b537d42e.jpg

IMG_9192.thumb.jpg.7311d7f01e73f5ffb84dfe595ca0773e.jpg

1 minute ago, Nickfromwales said:

I'd have run the group up the st void not the second ;) 

Simple solution. Just omit the pug mix along that run and choose insulation in there instead.

Tbh that was my thoughts at the beginning however I stuck to the Wunda plan, which doesn't show any pipe runs in that first void for 2 reasons. Firstly to avoid a notch as the pipes naturally fall from the manifold into that second run, and secondly I was concerned (having never installed wet UFH before) about the bend radius being sharper to get out of the bathroom and round the corner.

Was I thinking too safe?

I've got some 25mm insulation for another part of the renovation from which I can cut a rip to pop into that first run instead of the pug mix.