Connect to rainwater drain outside of house

tvrulesme

Tried searching for this but maybe I’m using the wrong phrase. 

Does anyone know if I would be allowed to connect rainwater pipe from my house to this drain water drain in the street just outside of my boundary?

if allowed am I able to make the connection under ground?  Just to be clear the channel in the picture is only along the boundary of my property, no others

1EEC5918-0DDA-4CF1-BFC0-69DCBB09A2FA.thumb.jpeg.b226bed2ab5c6d0599252799e087c300.jpeg

Hi. Are you referring to the downpipe we can see in the image? If you want to connect underground, typically this would not be advised. Instead you'd cut into and branch off from the underground 110mm pipe and extend it to another gulley pot and terminate the rainwater downpipe into / above that. You shouldn't take a downpipe into the ground as the pipe is not rated for burial as it is quite brittle for one, but just not allowed ( for that reason ) for another. 

Edited by Nickfromwales
I'm tired and 3 beers in.

6 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Hi. Are you referring to the downpipe we can see in the image? If you want to connect underground, typically this would not be advised. Instead you'd cut into and branch off from the underground 110mm pipe and extend it to another gulley pot and terminate the rainwater downpipe into / above that. You shouldn't take a downpipe into the ground as the pipe is not rated for burial as it is quite brittle for one, but just not allowed ( for that reason ) for another. 

Thank you and apologies, I explained that pretty badly. So we have internal damp and one of the surveyors recommendations is to "Form a trench at the wall junction to a depth of 150mm and fitting Aco drainage or french drain". As the house is on a gentle slope the new drainage will need to discharge around where this drain is so wondering the best way to connect/discharge it considering it will be below ground level?

1200015167_Screenshot2021-09-28at05_13_47.thumb.png.3613ac4659d153f273364c4d5c0d9a8f.png

The immediate issue I see is you need to install a French drain alongside the wall of the house to drain it, BUT the land you need to install the drain on is not yours, it is the public pavement.  you can't just go digging up the pavement and installing this drain without getting permission, and then the work will probably have to be done by an approved streetworks contractor after paying the council for a road opening permit.

• Like 1

Just now, Dave Jones said:

where does the back of the house drain too ?

There is an existing storm drain to the rear of the property. The problem is that the house is on a (gentle) hill so to get a decent gradient at the section at the front of the house, the trench would have to be pretty deep which is a worry for a property of this age built in 1810.

2 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

wouldnt need to be that deep, 13mm fall per M. Or are you saying you dont have a level floor so the back is lower than the front ?

Oh, not as bad as I thought. Yes the drain at the rear drops down around 40cm from the level at the front of the house so this could work. 

So gently grade down using this point as the high point all the way to the storm drain at the back?