Mobile home

fiaraziqbal

I am having issue with the planning department as to whether my mobile home is a mobile home.

It fits all the criteria except one. It's not prefabricated as I built it. 

If I build my own mobile home does this comply to planning permission?

Is there any info on what is deemed prefabricated?

It needs to be transportable in 1 or 2 pieces, that does NOT mean it has to be on wheels.  Lifting it with a crane onto a low loader is a valid means of moving it.

So it has to be small enough and strong enough to be lifted.

Who is your council, some have a specific policy note on the matter.

37 minutes ago, ProDave said:

It needs to be transportable in 1 or 2 pieces, that does NOT mean it has to be on wheels.  Lifting it with a crane onto a low loader is a valid means of moving it.

So it has to be small enough and strong enough to be lifted.

Who is your council, some have a specific policy note on the matter.

Isle of Lewis. It is liftable the issue they are raising is that it's constructed on site as opposed to brought on site 

Highland council have this note.  https://www.highland.gov.uk/download/downloads/id/1346/bst_018_caravans_and_mobile_homes.pdf

Policy
Many types of buildings can meet the definition of a caravan or mobile home. This is not limited to a traditional view of a wheeled caravan or mobile home.

If a building meets the following criteria, then it can be considered as exempted from the building regulations by virtue of Regulation 3* ;-

1. designed for human habitation

2. capable of being moved from one place to another by being towed, or by being transported on a motor vehicle or trailer in one, or two sections

3. shown to be capable of being disassembled into no more than two sections

4. maximum length of 18.288m (measured externally)

5. maximum width of 6.096m (measured externally)

6. maximum height measured internally from the floor at the lowest level to the ceiling at the highest level of 3.048m

The fact you assembled it on site is not relevant. How do they even know that?  As long as now that it is assembled it is capable of being moved, then it complies.

Try showing the Highland Council policy note to the Western Isles Council.

2 hours ago, ProDave said:

Highland council have this note.  https://www.highland.gov.uk/download/downloads/id/1346/bst_018_caravans_and_mobile_homes.pdf

The fact you assembled it on site is not relevant. How do they even know that?  As long as now that it is assembled it is capable of being moved, then it complies.

Try showing the Highland Council policy note to the Western Isles Council.

I am in the middle of constructing the second half. Seems some locals have an issue.