Talk to me about dry ridge vents

Snowbeetle

I am converting an existing building into a house and need to have the rafter space vented to prevent condensation. I have installed eaves vents and now need to get a ridge vents in. Roof is a slate roof with hip ends (no gables) currently with clay, capped ridge tiles (local vernacular would like to keep). 

I've found this product which has similar ridge tiles to mine, so I am wondering if I can put the holes in mine to adapt them as substitutes.. New Redi-Ridge ventilated dry fix ridge and hip system from Forterra.

Also found this one which has a ridge tile similar to mine (but was hoping to avoid unnecessary cost) Ridge Systems | Redland

I'm wondering if anyone has experience of retrofitting dry ridge vent system, any recommendations, thoughts or pointers?

(this is my project Bungalow Barn - update - Barn Conversions - BuildHub.org.uk)

Thanks

Most of the dry ridge systems will work fine.  You can often re-use the existing mortar bedded tiles if you can get hold of a few spares to replace broken ones.  You just screw battens to the top of the ridge to get to the required height and use this for the fixings for the ridge tiles.  Easier than messing with mortar.

https://redland.co.uk/products/components/ridge-systems/continuous-ridge-system

My ridge tiles are capped so can't re-purpose them for that particular system. But good to know that other people have done that in other cases. 

Has anyone else retrofitted a system like this, what pitfalls did you find or did it go smoothly (as anything ever does)?