Cedral Flaking

Ralph

We are having a issue with our Cedral. It's been up for 5 months or so and we are seeing some discolouration. The Cedral rep apparently thinks this is efflorescence from salts, like you get with concrete (builder sent them photos). However, the paint now looks to be flaking off quite badly, you can scrape it with a fingernail in places.

I'm waiting on builder and architect to organise someone from Cedral to actually come out and look at it.

Any thoughts? I'm not sure if we're looking at a manufacturing issue or what.

Thanks

20210925_173209.jpg

Edited by Ralph
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

So this is a photo of the top of the cedral before the standing seam metal went on above it. That looks like a 10mm gap so should be OK and I know it has the same at the bottom.

I'll have a good check tomorrow.

Screenshot_20210925-201517_Photos.jpg

2 minutes ago, Ralph said:

So this is a photo of the top of the cedral before the standing seam metal went on above it. That looks like a 10mm gap so should be OK and I know it has the same at the bottom.

I'll have a good check tomorrow.

Screenshot_20210925-201517_Photos.jpg

Certainly looks ok 

1 hour ago, pocster said:

I remember when I installed it that the Battons needed To allow air flow . ( from the cedral instructions) …

3F997AC4-A4C5-4276-BC38-A4C0C797C012.png

That looks pretty much like what was done.

7 minutes ago, Dreadnaught said:

From your photo, it looks like the one's nearer the ground are suffering more. Is that so?

Is it restricted to one region or set of planks or are they all showing symptoms?

Are you just unlucky in that you received a bad batch of planks from the production line?

The ones that are flaking are near the bottom but the efflorescence, if that's what it is seems to be at all levels but concentrated at the ends of the planks. 

I have a feeling Cedral will blame installation and builder will blame production.

I cant recall as it's so long since I last looked into cedral but I thought the required ventilation gap was significantly more than the 10mm you mention - I have 50mm in my head, but I may be wrong!

Just checked, it's 30mm behind planks.

Edited by LA3222
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, LA3222 said:

I cant recall as it's so long since I last looked into cedral but I thought the required ventilation gap was significantly more than the 10mm you mention - I have 50mm in my head, but I may be wrong!

Just checked, it's 30mm behind planks.

I was thinking 50mm aswell . But I’m not on site so can’t confirm . I can check tomorrow…..

9 hours ago, Ralph said:

That looks pretty much like what was done.

The ones that are flaking are near the bottom but the efflorescence, if that's what it is seems to be at all levels but concentrated at the ends of the planks. 

I have a feeling Cedral will blame installation and builder will blame production.

I did think these planks didn’t rot , warp , fade I.e everything proof . That’s why I choose them - they do scratch easy though . So if it is efflorescence I’d be surprised. But if airflow is restricted then maybe that is the issue .

Had a closer look today. I think the major damage has been done by a whacker plate when the path was going in. Someone has then painted over with the touch up paint. They have then washed it and the paint had flaked off.

However, I am concerned that the vent at the top of the cedral had been covered by the drip lip of the standing seam, as in the photo. Unless it's venting behind the standing seam?

20210926_114009.jpg