Passiv "Shed"

Onoff

Sounds exactly what I'm planning on Nick, I've always wondered how to protect the underneath of any insulation?. How have you suspended the timber ring beam, those adjustable pier things used for decking, or just timber legs in concrete? Any pics or designs? 

21 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Mines going on a timber ring beam ( already done ) suspended up off the soil. 5" of eps in the floor. My question is do I need to sheath the underside so nothing burrows upwards into the eps? 

@Ferdinand, good point about the cat gap :). Noted, and will be implemented. 

My wee house is also built on a timber ring beam. I've put 9mm osb under the insulation, so that's what you see underneath the house. And being three feet off the ground ensures access by cat/terrier/alsatian/rentakill etc.

A possibly expensive option but I wondered about putting steel "mesh" sheets down on the sand blinding layer when I did my bathroom floor before the 25mm EPS went down. I might have done but couldn't be ar$ed forming it over the concrete I'd cast at the edges where I tidied up the footings. Could have / should have / would have etc.....

SAM_1092

The only animals that like the enclosed areas under that sort of building are squirrels - if you use a 1" square mesh on all sides so the wind can blow under (but leaves etc can't) then it won't be warm enough for any of the burrowing creatures ....

Alternative is an engineering brick plinth all round but sort of negates the passive slab idea.  

Totally off the wall here and driven in part by the price of 300mm of EPS but what U-value I wonder would laid GLASS BOTTLES give like they did here:

http://www.sparklingadventures.com/index.php?id=1585

There'd be nothing that'd burrow through that without getting cut to pieces. Mind, it'd take some supping / raids on the local bottle bank for 30m2! :)

For a 5m x 6m shed then raising it off the ground for said "cat access" would obviously raise it's profile something I was looking to minimise by putting the hard-core and EPS layers "in the ground" so to speak.

This all might be moot anyway as just reading about permitted development in an AONB, If considering as a "shed" then it seems 15m2 is the limit normally without it being an AONB then 3m to a flat room or 4m to pitched etc. I want a big FO garden room! With a green roof it'd blend in anyway in the grand scope of things :(

15m2 is pretty big - larger than the average kitchen these days ..! What are you planning to do in it ...??! 

You could always have a building that had a terrace / veranda which could be easily made as free standing in front so not part of the building yet still "part" of it if that makes sense ...?

Other option is make it moveable and then you don't have the restriction on the building size - didn't George Clark do that with one of his..?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PeterW said:

15m2 is pretty big - larger than the average kitchen these days ..! What are you planning to do in it ...??! 

You could always have a building that had a terrace / veranda which could be easily made as free standing in front so not part of the building yet still "part" of it if that makes sense ...?

Other option is make it moveable and then you don't have the restriction on the building size - didn't George Clark do that with one of his..?

Just a big, chill out / rumpus room for the kids and their friends. Pool table, sofas, telly, a MAME arcade machine etc in there. I ran a tape over the area and tbh 6m x 5m would get lost in that corner. Thinking of DIY wall panels like @Construction Channel is doing. 145mm deep "stud walls" infilled with insulation, then more insulation across the inside to mitigate the bridging through the studs.

26 minutes ago, PeterW said:

So what constitutes moveable? 

If I build mine so the sides are bolted together as loose panels, and the floor is a stilted platform, what about the roof?

FYI I wanted one 7.5m long mono pitched roof from end to end, over a 6.1m shed, so short overhang road side and long one door end. 

56 minutes ago, Crofter said:

My wee house is also built on a timber ring beam. I've put 9mm osb under the insulation, so that's what you see underneath the house. And being three feet off the ground ensures access by cat/terrier/alsatian/rentakill etc.

How is the osb holding up to being exposed? Did you varnish / seal it?

32 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Mine is 28m2 and I'm already convinced it's too small.

Is there such a thing as "too big" for a man cave? :D 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pudding said:

Sounds exactly what I'm planning on Nick, I've always wondered how to protect the underneath of any insulation?. How have you suspended the timber ring beam, those adjustable pier things used for decking, or just timber legs in concrete? Any pics or designs? 

I'll post a pic when I move my most recent consignment of firewood off the ring beam :D. Quite a bit came out of the current job, 2 transit tipper loads of bone dry sawn 3x2 / batten / laths. 

Ive done a ring beam 6.1m x 3.8m ( iirc ) and it's a 5x2 treated timber, sistered to get strength but with less depth / height off soil so it's flush-ish with the patio. 

Its on made up topsoil, 500-700mm in places so I dug down with a post hole shovel / tweezers thingamabob, until I hit clay, and made short concrete pads.

On top of those are stilts I made out of treated 100x100mm fence posts, doubled up on the runs and trebled in the corners ( an L shape of 3x100x100mm sections bolted together to support the corners of the sistered 5x2"'s ). I part buried these in haste, but will dig them back out and make the depth up with blocks on flat until above ground. Live and learn. :(

Soil pipe underneath to take an outside WC and rainwater runoff from box gutter and shed roof downpipes. 

2 hours ago, Onoff said:

For a 5m x 6m shed then raising it off the ground for said "cat access" would obviously raise it's profile something I was looking to minimise by putting the hard-core and EPS layers "in the ground" so to speak.

This all might be moot anyway as just reading about permitted development in an AONB, If considering as a "shed" then it seems 15m2 is the limit normally without it being an AONB then 3m to a flat room or 4m to pitched etc. I want a big FO garden room! With a green roof it'd blend in anyway in the grand scope of things :(

The other way is to put a rat proof base down e.g. Real slab, and go directly on that with your shed structure instead.

1 hour ago, Nickfromwales said:

If I build mine so the sides are bolted together as loose panels, and the floor is a stilted platform, what about the roof?

FYI I wanted one 7.5m long mono pitched roof from end to end, over a 6.1m shed, so short overhang road side and long one door end. 

Easily defined.

When Big Harry comes down from the Council and says "Make My Day, Punk .. Move It .. or I will send in The Enforcers", then you need to be able to comply.

F

2 hours ago, Onoff said:

Have a look at refurbished 'site offices'. Those are moveable, and can be yours for a few thousands complete with some insulation, wiring, sink etc in various sizes.

eg sometimes come up here

https://www.wernick.co.uk/refurbished/latest-offers/

or often on eBay.

Or static caravans too old for sites owners to permit them, which might be as few as 10 years.

Edited by Ferdinand

8 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Not interested in "ready made". Too impersonal. Logistics of getting it to the space would be a nightmare too.

Im with you on this one. Access to our site is difficult, to off load something like a portable office would involve a road closure and a very large crane. I'll be building something temporary using parts from the soon to be delolished house.

2 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Caravans Act nineteen-sixty-something.

Less than 6m wide, 18m long, internal ceiling height of 3.048m or less, and demountable into up to two sections.

It *can* be constructed on site, if it can be shown that it would be feasible to later move it.

And the nature of being moveable lies within the building itself, so if it ends up boxed in by obstructions that prevent any real chance of ever removing it in one piece, that doesn't count against it.

Edit to add- a flat pack approach doesn't qualify, unless the roof is a sort of 'module' that could be craned on and off in a single unit. The two-section limit means you can't make it up from a set of prefab panels.

2 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

How is the osb holding up to being exposed? Did you varnish / seal it?

It's absolutely fine.

The engineered timber I-joists sit on hangers within the ring beam, and the bottom of them is flush with the bottom of the ring beam. But the osb is in the form of strips between each joist, and sits on the lower flange of the joists. So they are a couple of inches up from the lowest point of the building, and all they see is the very dry and well ventilated underfloor space.

39 minutes ago, Crofter said:

Caravans Act nineteen-sixty-something.

Less than 6m wide, 18m long, internal ceiling height of 3.048m or less, and demountable into up to two sections.

It *can* be constructed on site, if it can be shown that it would be feasible to later move it.

And the nature of being moveable lies within the building itself, so if it ends up boxed in by obstructions that prevent any real chance of ever removing it in one piece, that doesn't count against it.

Edit to add- a flat pack approach doesn't qualify, unless the roof is a sort of 'module' that could be craned on and off in a single unit. The two-section limit means you can't make it up from a set of prefab panels.

:S

Ok, so two L sections bolted at opposite corners to form the structure  ?