Passiv "Shed"

Onoff

Just putting it out there but thinking of building a garden room to get rid of the kids and their friends etc. Think "Dengineers" but a lot more upmarket. The old play house and tree house were fails tba. 

What's the thoughts to building it to near Passiv standards but on a much smaller scale, maybe 30sq.m. Cost irrelevant. Home made SIPs etc.

Edited by Onoff

apart from the slab,

the door,

the airtightness,

and lots of other stuff,

my shed is done with 40mm kingspan, or equivalent, off ebay,

its too warm in the summer, and cosy in the winter,

I need to fit a bigger, and more, fans to move the air during the warm days.

anyone, and everyone, thats comes into it just cant believe just how warm it is, even when the snow is on the roof, which I think says a lot about how well insulated it is, partially.

Keep it under 30m2 and without obvious overnighting accommodation and you won't need a warrant. Likewise if you make it portable/moveable in up to two sections, which is the route i've gone down.

Going the portable route lets you make it pretty big (6x18m exc roof overhangs) and obviously you can't have a slab, you'd have to go for a suspended floor.

I would think that for a garden room that spends a lot of time empty, the main consideration should be keeping it free of damp, rather than worrying about energy consumption. So I would be tempted to make it both well insulated and well ventilated, and maybe not go down the airtightness route, unless you are going to go the whole hog and fit MVHR.

Hmmm... sub 30m2, straw bale walls, design it around whatever windows you can get on Fleabay/Gumtree, little woodburner, optional single room MVHR unit to keep it sweet.

55 minutes ago, ProDave said:

@Crofter is your man for inspiration. Sounds very much like his build.  If you make it that warm and cosy everyone will move out of the house into the shed.

Didn't you ought to finish the bathroom before starting a new project?

:) I knew that dig would be incoming from someone!

Easily bored that's my problem!

I love this for the aesthetics but can see huge solar gain issues. A bit of decent glass too might be costly but I could possibly get some rectangular, commercial curtain walling. Then have the "round window"  as an offset frame and hidden, sliding brise soleil like pocket doors behind that.

208a15605c3b77e87aec8a6f2f4170fc.jpg.0788b4d8f87267ab074290f821154809.jpg

Gotta have dreams!

1 hour ago, MikeSharp01 said:

Just doing this on our build - using the same technology as the main house to get my hand in with the techniques. Passive slab - does your slab ring, I joist portal frame, small MVHR, 34m2. Lots of fun

Pretty much my thoughts to do it as a learning exercise. Once the missus sees the concept "works" maybe I can convince her ref the house.

It's a good 50m from the house where I'd ideally site it.

And yes, MVHR would be the plan.

Edited by Onoff

3 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

Will the garden room have its own bathroom?

What about a hot tub and big TV? That would keep them out there.

Erm.....I think there's rules against that!

Might run an intercom to call them in for dinner/bath etc. Saying that I'd probably Skype / Whatsapp / Discord / ooVoo them. Tends to be one of those methods for parent / child comms in this house nowadays! Easier than shouting with their headphones on as it comes up on screen in front of them :)

Ours will have a bathroom - that was all the stuff here on the shower tray former, we included the building in our planning... not sure what rules prevent this although we have it as a condition of planning that it cannot be identified / converted into a separate dwelling.

Edited by MikeSharp01
Added details of shower tray former

4 hours ago, Onoff said:

Erm.....I think there's rules against that!

Might run an intercom to call them in for dinner/bath etc. Saying that I'd probably Skype / Whatsapp / Discord / ooVoo them. Tends to be one of those methods for parent / child comms in this house nowadays! Easier than shouting with their headphones on as it comes up on screen in front of them :)

As long as the socket for the tv is 3M from the hot tub......

Why not take the "easy option" for a "garden building"

caravan_8.thumb.jpg.99118a71dc9c6e7feedf580ca9040a0f.jpg

Once it's done as being our home, it will be converted to workspace / studio's.

We chose this one due to it's centre living room layout. One big room in the middle that will become a studio. A bedroom at each end, one will become a workshop the other a store room.  The WC will remain but the shower will be removed to make a cupboard.  It will get wrapped in another layer of insulation and timber clad to make it look more like a big shed.

4 minutes ago, ProDave said:

As long as the socket for the tv is 3M from the hot tub......

Isn't it if the tv is one of those that comes out of the bottom of the DOUBLE BED in the garden room that you have an issue? :)

I reckon you're doing this all arse about face ...

build a nice passivshed(tm) at the bottom of the garden that's soundproof from the kids, and then move in there leaving them in the draughty house ..! Decent TV, beer fridge and hot tub and you're away ..!

Is there any reason against using 150mm of good old mixed hard core, suitably compacted under a 300mm EPS insulating layer for something like this? This rather than say Type 3. It's just that it's "on site" so to speak in the form of already broken up old paths and slabs thus zero cost for a start.

I always worry about vermin like rats and also foxes, badgers, rabbits etc making burrows under such a nice "warm" slab. I've masses of old greenhouse glass. Would a layer of that over the area, subsequently smashed up before the hard core "work"?

Cheers.

Whacked down hardcore with a layer of road planings over the top ends up like concrete so I would just do that. BCO don't like you using road planings round here as you can't guarantee what's in it but tbh I can't see why for what you are planning it's not an option.  They are usually cheap too

Ta. Now then, orientation, the place would be best in the far corner of the plot. To suit the garden it would put the principle elevation facing SW, possibly SSW. I believe that's pretty good in terms of solar gain etc?

I would want a firmer base than that to avoid rats - unless you can guarantee they will not burrow into hardcore.

I would suggest a proper base so that it can be a permanent building.

I saw someone replace a bodged base a couple of weeks ago which had rat burrows all the way round the outside such that when they dismantled the shed it collapsed round the edge when they stood on it.

Alternatively leave a big enough gap under the shed itself that the cat or terrier can get in to kill the vermin.

I would say you want the eps to be inaccessible , either by being sealed in concrete or under a floating floor inside the shed.

F