Have you ever seen mice have a nibble on vertical plastic pipes?

Oxbow16

Hi folks

We live in the sticks and sometimes have mice in the house.  I even saw a stoat once in the loft!  

Most of our pipework is copper, but there are a couple of bits that are plastic which I'm going to have changed to copper while the plumber is here doing other work.  It's not worth the risk imo.  The obvious bits to change are at ground level and in the kind of places mice like.   But there's also a run from the top of the cylinder in the airing cupboard, which then comes down behind the cylinder and joins copper beneath the floorboards.  Have you ever seen mice have a go at pipes in that kind of position - i.e. vertical-ish and above ground?  

Here's a couple of pics.  You can't see it all cos the cylinder is in the way, but hopefully it's enough to get the gist.

Many thanks  

IMG_20210920_112457791.thumb.jpg.50e98cb18aeee5ceff7f29ebfe297f61.jpg

IMG_20210920_112522623.thumb.jpg.011fe2279e4396d8ba0cdf67e7a1ec73.jpg

54 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I had to help a  neighbour fix a number of leaks all caused by one mouse eating through plastic water pipe in 4 different locations before the poison got him.  That is why I am not a fan of plastic pipe,

Don’t you mean that’s why you’re not a fan of mice? ?

2 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Don’t you mean that’s why you’re not a fan of mice? ?

You can replace plastic pipe with copper and the problem is solved (or use copper in the first place)

It is nigh on impossible to stop mice entering an old house.  Out new air tight house has been pretty good, none have yet got in, apart from one that came in through an open velux one night.  That took nearly a week to dispatch him.

6 hours ago, Onoff said:

know a bloke who ran his plastic water pipes through 25mm galv conduit...

Thankfully he is now safely held in a padded cell awaiting a full and proper psychiatric evaluation.

Apparently, he rocks himself to sleep each night, muttering the same phrase over and over again…..

”Must finish bathroom………must finish bathroom……”

• Haha 1

Well, according to Mr Google a stoat can get through a hole half an inch in diameter!  Some say an inch to be fair...  Estimates vary!  

On the to do list is to go around the house blocking an holes I find.  But as some sections of the house will have work on it soon, those sections might as well wait until after.  

On a side note...  There's a small hole in the kitchen ceiling from where a pipe was leaking when we moved in.  It's still there as we've yet to decorate in there.  Below the hole is a step leading into the living room, and I often sit on the step whilst chatting to my partner (she's the cook in the house).  I was sat on said step a few months back, innocently eating my shredded wheat, when a mouse fell through the hole and almost landed in my bowl!  Didn't quite have to change my pants, but wasn't far off.  

Anyways, methinks I'll get all the plastic changed for copper then while he's here and everything is drained.  Especially seeing as there's not much of it.  

Thanks for all of the replies