Has my departed brickie left me with a headache

Moonshine

My brickie has left site and not contactable by phone.

Looking over next steps I have been going over the work done to date, and it's just struck me that he hasn't put lintels in the inner foundation wall for vents.

I did mention this to him and pointed out the lintels for the vents before he did the inner foundation walls but it seems he hasn't put them in. I dont know how he was thinking he was going to get them in.

20210924_073131.thumb.jpg.c19ea4b7af47a72f0cad77b2dd16797e.jpg

The block and beam isn't grouted and they can be moved but it's going to be a pig of a job.

I am I wrong that I should be looking at vent holes with lintels above or can the vents be installed where the slips are going, assuming I make sure the max space meets building regs

@MoonshineAre you talking about vents for the void under the block & beam floor? If so don't worry the plastic telescopic vents slide through the 50mm gap. The important stage of the job is to fit the 40mm mini coursing slips around the perimeter.

Is your DPC unusually high relative to the block & beam floor?

Edit: Looking at your photo the brickie has used stronger floor blocks around the perimeter. They look like 19kg heavies and the rest might be something like 14kg Hemlites or 8kg Fibolites, so no lintels required.

@nodis talking about sleeper wall ventilation to allow air circulation between the sections of the under floor void. He put down a layer of concrete over the sub soil and his photo shows that before the floor beams were fitted, I think?

Edited by epsilonGreedy

17 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

@MoonshineAre you talking about vents for the void under the block & beam floor? If so don't worry the plastic telescopic vents slide through the 50mm gap. The important stage of the job is to fit the 50mm mini coursing slips around the o th

I think it's wrong, I have just been to volume house builder site and they clearly have lintels over the vents in the inner sub structure wall.

This is of an image of the sub structure wall taken from the inside as beams are being fitted.

20210924_091235.thumb.jpg.cdf9c6b67751b450364254cd46ffe234.jpg

Feck!!!

Edited by Moonshine

21 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:Edit: Looking at your photo the brickie has used stronger floor blocks around the perimeter. They look like 19kg heavies and the rest might be something like 14kg Hemlites or 8kg Fibolites, so no lintels required.

All blocks used are min 7N, does that make a difference? Can you point me to something to say lintels aren't required if that is the case? 

That is a different footing wall make up with aircrete blocks and for some reason the vents are position very low on the inside. The plastic vents are sized to slip through the 50mm gap under a floor block between two beams. Those heavy blocks around you perimeter are incredibly strong. Don't worry, just ensure the 40mm slips are fitted all around.

@PeterWwill be along shortly to provide a definitive remote inspection.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Moonshine said:

All blocks used are min 7N, does that make a difference? Can you point me to something to say lintels aren't required if that is the case? 

But that 7N is just a rough and ready indicator of compressive strength. You can buy a 7N fibolight, 7N hemlite and 19kg heavy and they will all tick the 7N category but are very differ beasts strength wise.

I had to hack one hemlite out of my finished block & beam raft and discovered how strong such a block is. A 19kg heavy block is virtually a lintel without the steel rod.

11 minutes ago, Moonshine said:

Can you point me to something to say lintels aren't required if that is the case? 

All the houses near me were done as I describe. If a cut slip is inserted either side of the plastic vent then we are only talking about 6" gap. By analogy would you expect a lintel in the outer wall to bridge over the top of the 8" wide plastic air brick?

The floor team usually leave the vents loose in the 50mm gap so that the brickies can horizontally align the vent and air brick with the bond pattern of the facing bricks at DPC.

• 1 month later...

As an update to this the BCO came out is is happy for the vents to go between the slips at the end of the beams as its 7N blocks.

The new brickie has the headache of evenly spacing the vents between the beam ends along the wall and tying in with solid bricks

Luckily it seems the new brickie has a sense of humour!

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
On 25/10/2021 at 10:27, Moonshine said:

The new brickie has the headache of evenly spacing the vents between the beam ends along the wall and tying in with solid bricks

Not really a headache, it is a routine and assumed part of the task for a brickie to do this when laying courses near ground level after the installation of a beam & block floor.

One tip on the vent spacing. Mark the position of door apertures to give the new brickie a chance to shuffle a vent left or right to avoid having one positioned in full view at a doorstep.

As an update to this the BCO came out is is happy for the vents to go between the slips at the end of the beams as its 7N blocks.

Luckily it seems the new brickie has a sense of humour!

check the beam drawing it will specify where the vents are to go.

Nothing a crate of beer can't solve I suspect.