Levelling sloping garage floor for office/gym

Dave85

Hi,

I presently putting together a plan to convert our garage into an office/gym. I will be doing most of the work apart from levelling the floor.

Having consulted a couple of builders they are suggesting concrete would take too long to dry so we should instead use celotex, ply and screed.

Will this be robust enough if the room is used as a gym? What other methods of floor should we consider?

2 hours ago, Dave85 said:

Will this be robust enough if the room is used as a gym? What other methods of floor should we consider?

There are gyms and there are gyms. If you plan to be doing olympic lifting and dropping weights to the floor, you'll need something a lot more robust than screed.

Even just doing deadlifts in our concrete garage on very thick rubber gym mats, dropping from even an inch or so reverberates through the house. In the end I bought some lifting pads so I can drop weights, and they mostly work (I'm old enough that I no longer want/need to do heavy - for me! - lifts from full depth).

If you're not expecting to drop weights, then you mainly need to account for point loads. Whether a screed will work depends on what type and thickness of screed you go for.