Samsung EHS Mono, R32, Heat Pump 16.0kW - model AE160RXYDEG

Siggles

Hi, I created a topic some time ago about my Dimplex A-class ASHP 16kw and the struggle to get spare parts - particularly the motor/fan. 10 months later the issue is not resolved, the fan part is still not available and so Dimplex are offering to replace the unit (both the ASHP and control panel) with the EHS Mono, R32, Heat Pump 16.0kW - model AE160RXYDEG

Is anyone familiar with this model? And is it any good? They propose to keep the water tank/cylinder but replace the ASHP and control panel. I have heatmiser thermostats/panels around the house and underfloor heating (and a couple of rads). Does anyone see any issues?

Thank you for all your help, both now and with the previous post!

Siggles

Edited by Siggles

Yeah that's what I've got. Been a year of in use. Only slight issue is the energy generation calculation is unrealistically high (but energy used is fine). Zero problems with actual functionality and delivery of heat. My ufh controller is also heatmiser. 

Thanks George. That's good to hear. It's been a long 12 months getting Dimplex to this point but can't fault their final resolution - plus I get a new unit with a warranty. The only thing I am worried about is them making it work with the existing Dimplex water cylinder and the other equipment (inside pump, expansion vessel etc or I wonder if these are even needed) and UHF inside but fingers crossed they can. For example, the Dimplex unit is meant to fire up the water tank immersion when the fan isnt working, will the Samsung Control Panel be able to do that instead - the Dimplex unit never worked anyway, I had to have it wired in to a plug to get hot water whilst the ASHP hasnt been working.

Just looking forward to getting my heating and UFH working again before winter

Edited by Siggles

Certainly the immersion heater is wired into the Samsung control box - it uses it as part of the weekly legionnaires cycle to go up to 60C. But I've not had issues with the fan so not sure if it would. Or do you mean as a solar diverter? 

The supplier my installer used is 'Freedom heat pumps' and they've git a load of their training videos on YouTube which were quite interesting - was a slightly older model but functionally very similar. Ideally shouldn't muck with the settings but gives background info. 

• 2 months later...

Hiya,

I had one of these installed in September, it’s nice to find someone else who’s got one! It’s also from Freedom Heat Pumps, connected to existing unvented cylinder and radiators.

Can I ask:

1) do you have separate heat meters for RHI (my installer said to use the info from the remote but I don’t see how I can report it as readings)

2) it’s hopeless at heating water except via the immersion. I’ve had a call with Samsung and changed some settings but it burns a couple of kWh not heating any water before deciding to use the immersion so I don’t bother with it. How are yours? If any good, can you share you field settings values?

Thanks!

7 hours ago, Christiano said:

1) do you have separate heat meters for RHI (my installer said to use the info from the remote but I don’t see how I can report it as readings)

Is your RHI reporting for payment or reporting for usage? If the former, it should be a dedicated meter, I believe. Otherwise I'm not sure it's mandatory to report (unless you signed up for the extra incentive to report data? I didn't so can't really help. But I recall my ecodan has an application note stating the web interface should have the data needed for that scheme but they don't guarantee it would remain available and acceptable for the full 7 years)

7 hours ago, Christiano said:

2) it’s hopeless at heating water except via the immersion. I’ve had a call with Samsung and changed some settings but it burns a couple of kWh not heating any water before deciding to use the immersion

Your existing cylinder won't be designed for a heat pump  so will take longer to heat whatever .

But this sounds like it never worked at all? I expect there's an existing mid position or diverter valve somewhere that redirects water between heating and hot water, that has failed or simply was not wired in correctly. I've had at least two professional plumbers that wired a valve wrong and needed my help to figure it out!

Does the supply pipe feeding into the cylinder coil heat up at all?

Edited by joth

On 14/12/2021 at 05:13, joth said:

Your existing cylinder won't be designed for a heat pump

We installed it in 2017 to use Solar PV Diversion for free hot water, but the cylinder was designed for a heat pump. It’s a custom build with 3 coils, 2 of which are fed by the HP. I have separate monitoring (emoncms) so I can be sure water was flowing to the cylinder.

I’ve had another call with Samsung support and am going to try changing 1 more setting, hopefully that works.

On 14/12/2021 at 05:13, joth said:

Is your RHI reporting for payment or reporting for usage

It’s for performance, I sent the Ofgem RHI team an email explaining that the HP showed monthly/yearly performance but not all time to date. They sent me a reply explaining how to read meters.

My main reasons for avoiding putting a separate heat meter in are 1) it’ll be about £600 and 2) if it has to go on the return it’s very congested.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just FYI, I got the Dimplex swapped out eventually for the Samsung Gen 6. I've had it now for a few months and I compared its energy usage to the Dimplex and it seems to be working well. Ive had one issue with a relay getting stuck meaning the indoor water fan kept running which would throw an error when nothing was calling for heat. Someone on here showed me how to flick the relay to get it working. Im now trying to get help from Samsung to get a replacement board. As the homeowner, I wonder if that is even possible?

Edited by Siggles

6 hours ago, Christiano said:

I believe the Samsung warranty covers paying your installer to replace faulty parts, if that was your question?

Because Dimplex paid for the new unit and also the installer, I'm having trouble communicating with them. So trying to do it myself. I contacted the nearest Samsung Authorised Service Partner yesterday for Air Conditioning (which Iw as told to do by Samsung) so waiting on a reply from them.

• 4 months later...
On 15/12/2021 at 10:25, Christiano said:

We installed it in 2017 to use Solar PV Diversion for free hot water, but the cylinder was designed for a heat pump. It’s a custom build with 3 coils, 2 of which are fed by the HP. I have separate monitoring (emoncms) so I can be sure water was flowing to the cylinder.

I’ve had another call with Samsung support and am going to try changing 1 more setting, hopefully that works.

It’s for performance, I sent the Ofgem RHI team an email explaining that the HP showed monthly/yearly performance but not all time to date. They sent me a reply explaining how to read meters.

My main reasons for avoiding putting a separate heat meter in are 1) it’ll be about £600 and 2) if it has to go on the return it’s very congested.

Do you use emoncms with your Samsung heat pump? If so, what are you using to report data to it?

I have the 8kw version but am looking to see how best to monitor the operation since Samsung don't seem to support any type of data export. 

On 13/12/2021 at 21:42, Christiano said:

Hiya,

I had one of these installed in September, it’s nice to find someone else who’s got one! It’s also from Freedom Heat Pumps, connected to existing unvented cylinder and radiators.

Can I ask:

2) it’s hopeless at heating water except via the immersion. I’ve had a call with Samsung and changed some settings but it burns a couple of kWh not heating any water before deciding to use the immersion so I don’t bother with it. How are yours? If any good, can you share you field settings values?

Thanks!

1) yes on my consumer unit. It matches fairly well (within a few percent) of the Samsun controller.

2) I've it set at 50C with priority. The tank temperature gauge varies between 43 - 55 depending on what's being used and if the ASHP is heating. The disinfection cycle using the immersion that takes it up to 60C is very notable on a Tuesday morning. So... works as expected. 

• Like 1

On 13/06/2022 at 15:21, Brian K said:

Do you use emoncms with your Samsung heat pump? If so, what are you using to report data to it?

I have the 8kw version but am looking to see how best to monitor the operation since Samsung don't seem to support any type of data export. 

Yes, we use emonCMS, I moved the emonPi to the ASHP controls and monitor via 2x CT plus 6x DS18B20.

We also have 4x emonTH and 2x emonTx, one on the supply/solar and the other on the battery, so I have a pretty good idea what’s going on.

I called Samsung about getting data out and they really weren’t helpful at all. That’s the most disappointing thing really; apart from using the Hive thermostat to make it go on/off, you have to go to the control unit and press horrible ‘buttons’ to get any info or change anything. I’m stunned that in this day and age with a company like Samsung that you can get such an expensive piece of kit with no app or even Wi-Fi.

3 hours ago, Christiano said:

Yes, we use emonCMS, I moved the emonPi to the ASHP controls and monitor via 2x CT plus 6x DS18B20.

We also have 4x emonTH and 2x emonTx, one on the supply/solar and the other on the battery, so I have a pretty good idea what’s going on.

I called Samsung about getting data out and they really weren’t helpful at all. That’s the most disappointing thing really; apart from using the Hive thermostat to make it go on/off, you have to go to the control unit and press horrible ‘buttons’ to get any info or change anything. I’m stunned that in this day and age with a company like Samsung that you can get such an expensive piece of kit with no app or even Wi-Fi.

Homely will integrate with Samsung heat pumps over modbus and should give you a considerably better user experience than using a Hive.

• 1 year later...

Has anyone set this ASHP up (or a similar one) to do underfloor cooling? 

If so how did you do it?

Samsung have said the UK models don't have this function but I suspect they are just trying to cover their backs. 

The spec says 14kw cooling so I am not sure what that would mean if they don't do cooling.