Block and beam cut block edge question

ollieD

Hi all,

We've gotten our blocks in and have finished installing most of the block and beam but I'm struggling with what to do on the outer edge (there is a timber frame to go on top of a 150mm upstand on top of this floor). The block and beam company have specified cut blocks sat on slip blocks/bricks for the last beam to the outer wall.

There is a crown in the beams (see attached) and I'm not sure whether to lay these outer blocks all level to the slip blocks with a thin mortar base which would leave the blocks not level side to side as they would dip towards the outer wall more the closer to the crown. Or whether the cut blocks would be laid all level with an increasing amount of mortar between the cut block and slip blocks.

An issue I can see with the second is that for us to put a very level 150mm upstand for the timber frame there will be either too little or too much mortar under this upstand depending on how close to the crown the blocks get. There is around a 15mm difference between the highest and lowest point.

Any guidance much appreciated!

blockwall.jpg

crowninbeam.jpg

lay the slips so the block sits on them dead flat with the rest/beams. The beams crown on purpose as they are in tension, they flatten when the flooring/load is applied which is why they are designed and not just bought off the shelf and left to the end user to decide where to put them.

Cant see you fromr photo but make sure you put DPC roll under the beams where they sit on the wall and the same with slips including any sleeper walls.

Edited by Dave Jones
  • Thanks 1