How deep could existing soil pipe be?

Paul Alan

Had the BCO around today and he's happy with the footings at 1m deep in clay.

He has requested that I dig down where the soil pipe goes under the strip footing, so I can shutter it and concrete around it and under.

I have been digging in clay for ages now, I have gone down at least another meter and its becoming almost impossible now yet no sign of any soil pipe. How far potentially could it be? Is there a max depth for these pipes?

Are there any alternative solutions as this digging the bottom of a trench stuff in clay is miserable.

The footings are all dug and the ground has been reduced so we cant get a digger in there.

Any advice appreciated

Many thanks

Stop digging. It is either not there or so deep that it is better left alone. more likely is off at some other angle and you have missed it.

Ask the bco to dig for it next time, to show you what pipe he means.

If there is an old  pipe across your new trench then there should be visible signs where the soil changes. That was a trench in clay, dug and backfilled, and it will not look the same as the virgin clay.

10 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

Stop digging. It is either not there or so deep that it is better left alone. more likely is off at some other angle and you have missed it.

Ask the bco to dig for it next time, to show you what pipe he means.

If there is an old  pipe across your new trench then there should be visible signs where the soil changes. That was a trench in clay, dug and backfilled, and it will not look the same as the virgin clay.

Stop digging! I'll definitely have that advice thanks.

Thats 2 things in life I wont do again, digging and painting.

We had a cctv on the drains and at 3.3 meters out from house the pipe takes a nose dive, the trench is around 5 meters from the house, so even if I do find it it'll be on a vertical slope making it a nightmare to work with.

I'll call the BCO tomorrow and see if he can possibly change his mind

Many thanks

1 hour ago, Dave Jones said:

does this pipe serve only your property ? If not then you will need a build over agreement.

The pipe goes 15 meters through our garden before it hits the public sewer, it has no connections untill that point.

I believe we're OK there, it's the rainwater pipe we're having to do the build over agreement with and a diversion too