Waterstops/Waterbars - needed or not?

BotusBuild

We are building with an insulated raft foundation and ICF and I have seen mention of these in various topics, and have scoured my architect and SE drawings and notes for mention of these on our build. I have investigated what they are, and what they do, but its still not obvious as to whether they are needed on not.

Awaiting the inevitable differences of opinion with interest ?

2 hours ago, BotusBuild said:

what they are, and what they do

......is keep water in place in water retaining structures, to close off a joint which might be a weakness.

If you are building above ground, have a well-detailed damp-proof construction, and it is not a water tank then you should not need one.

Or it is a simple bar across a flat door threshold to keep the rain out.

• Like 1

@SteamyTea, not sure on the Regs related to this, but as I am building a partial basement, waterproofing is a definite requirement and from what I have read waterbars seem to be a necessary part of that waterproofing (Type B). I will now be fitting one (now I have read my plans again) and so a BBA approved product is the order of the day.

5 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

I am an expert on this from watching Poldark, which defines all the SW. 

When times are tough you hope to find a shoal of tin or a seam of pilchards, or cause a wreck.

Yes, we are about to reopen all the fish mines.

And all the girls in Ilogan are as horny as Demelza, even allowing for her hip displacement

Poldark Season 4 - Demelza Poldark Official Picture ...

• Like 1