Klober roofing membrane, can I trust it?

epsilonGreedy

There seems to be a growing shortage of 1.5m wide roofing membrane with very little available from the top quality brand names such as Tyvek's supro plus. The 185 grams per m2 green roof shield used on most small development near me is not available in 1.5m and neither is Glidevale's VP400.

I can get hold of Klober's Forte membrane at 1.5m wide, this is only 145 gsm but claims to have an extra 4th layer of grid reinforcement. Klober 

https://klober.co.uk/storage/download/klober-membrane-guide-2021-web.pdf

The same supplier also offered Permavent Apex claiming all the big sites have gone over to Apex. I have a 185gsm sample and it is very strong but disconcertingly it is both vapour and air permeable and it is easy to suck air through the sample sheet. I suppose the mass house builders like using an air permeable membrane because a still wet fast build can be made weather tight and then continue to shed moisture through an air permeable roof membrane while the house dries out. 

Klober is good 

it doesn’t really matter what Tge mass house builders use 

A house is often completely covered and tiled in within two days 

Using quick cheap interlocking tiles 

Unlike most of us using lead and slate 

• Like 1

my understanding was that the benefits of an air permeable roof membrane like the Tyvek Supro is that it allows you to remove the need for the air gap between the insulation and the roof battens as long as you have counter battens in place. that way you can fully fill your rafters with insulation.

19 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

You are right about the price, I would save £150 even with their top-end 165 gsm Vent Pro. Trouble is even roofing super store has this on a 1 month lead time.

Think BC Profiles stock it - give them a call. 

https://www.bcprofiles.co.uk/products/cromar-vent-3-pro-heavy-weight-breathable-membrane-1-5m-x-50m?variant=41015876419747