Barn Conversion. No mains water.

YeBullen

2 hours ago, markocosic said:

I wouldn't expect any of that lot to be fitted for investigatory works. 

2 hours ago, markocosic said:

until quite a bit later.

Yes, you're right. Was just thinking of a completed system producing water fit for consumption, but, for the purposes of proving, just the pump needs dropping in and samples taken to prove it can be made potable by treatment and volume available.

Good point :) 

14 hours ago, Lorenz said:

This is Scotland; 

and when temp gets to -10c for a few days  --all those small tanks could be frozen --as there is no flow  and stagnant as there would be a with a stream to stop freezing

good luck with that in scotland would not be my choice no good at all if you intended do any b+b, or glamping as they would fail the annual inspection by council.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

and when temp gets to -10c for a few days  --all those small tanks could be frozen --as there is no flow  and stagnant as there would be a with a stream to stop freezing

good luck with that in scotland would not be my choice no good at all if you intended do any b+b, or glamping as they would fail the annual inspection by council.

I am quite sure in the video he says he is putting them inside.

In Scotland they do an annual inspection? For commercial customers I guess?

Would not worry me, main thing is making sure no debris from outside gets in. I used to think water quality in the UK was the best, but having lived in one lovely small town where the water would go off in a couple of days and smelt of chlorine and moving to a small village where the water stays clear for months, I no longer believe that to be the case.

42 minutes ago, George said:

My water supply is connected via my neighbour and is sub metred. Never caused any issues.

Thanks. The water company I spoke to said ‘you must have your own metered water supply for a new build and cannot tee off a neighbour’.

From what I am hearing here, this just means that they won’t assist with any problems I might have in the future. Not that it is illegal in any way?

if the seller did sell in future and I came up against problems - we could have a legal written contract that a new purchaser of the neighbours house isn’t allowed to cut off the supply?

Thanks all for your input. Forums are incredibly useful aren’t they?!

Life’s a gamble, I would T off the seller, instal a meter at your boundary and get a legal contract written in case seller moved on. At a previous house I had a neighbours drain connected to mine at the boundary and deeds included clause regarding maintenance. My parents lived in a Victorian terrace for 50 years with a shared supply (no meters) and had no problems (apart from shared stop cock but vary rarely an issue.)

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, YeBullen said:

if the seller did sell in future and I came up against problems - we could have a legal written contract that a new purchaser of the neighbours house isn’t allowed to cut off the supply?

That's the best option, but would need to be very robust, including a rights of access to the 3rd party ground that the pipe lays in for repair / replacement etc.

In terms of pressure and flow, if this is a tee'd supply and the run is huge back to the 'street' then you would need to be able to demonstrate that you are not going to starve the existing dwelling of it's own flow and pressure. That can be mitigated by you installing accumulators, prob 2 or 3x 500L, so you can always run taps off your own 'artificial cold mains'. That would stops arguments when you and the seller both jump in the shower at 07:30 and the flow runs to a dribble.

Any chance you can get statistics off the sellers supply atm? Would be critical data before advising any further on tee'ing into that supply. Could be a game changer in simplicity and mean owing the dwelling asap.

where would you put the meter?,

as the water company will only read and charge the   neighbour ,so they would need to read your meter and charge you-.at what ever rate they want 

put it before their meter and you are stealing water 

and as @Nickfromwales says flow could be a problem with a storage system after your meter and with double non return valve 

all can be done but not quite as simple as a "tee"

but as you are in scotland we have no domestic metering YET

3 hours ago, scottishjohn said:

Indeed. In many parts of Scotland the last few months would also have put paid to the idea of rainwater harvesting. It's often assumed we're a wet country, and on a global scale that's probably true. Doesn't mean we don't have supply problems in dry weather.

48 minutes ago, jamieled said:

It's often assumed we're a wet country,

Living in the SE of England I am constantly reminded that most people here think Scotland is a tenth the size of England and everywhere is cold and wet all the time

Tunbridge Wells has the same rainfall as Inverness. The worst winters I ever endured were here too. Coldest snowiest, windiest...in 3 successive years. There is a different sort of cold too.

Not to be compared with the weather on top of Cairngorm etc, but that is not where people live.

7 hours ago, jamieled said:

Indeed. In many parts of Scotland the last few months would also have put paid to the idea of rainwater harvesting. It's often assumed we're a wet country, and on a global scale that's probably true. Doesn't mean we don't have supply problems in dry weather.

where I am in the s/w of scotland we have had less than 50% of normal average historical rainfall this year  

both this year  and last started my suntan in march and its not stopped yet 

I have just completed my barn conversion which is in open countryside. My water and electricity connection are 1km away and my internet I get over mobile network (it’s very good BTW).

I would get just some quotes from local water boring companies, they will know the depths needed to hit to get to the water table. It was around 280m where I live and I was looking at about 15k cost. However the electricity was a bigger headache having to deal with the DNO. Getting access across private land is not big deal really was you have to get leeway’s - it’s just takes a very long time to deal with land owners. In the end I didn’t go with the bore hole  as I just layer a pipe in the same trench as the electricity cable I bought across the 1km distance 

if you budget 30 to 40k for services you probably won’t be far off..

Edited by gc100

@gc100 £15k for a 280m borehole sounds cheap! Our hydrogeological survey said we should expect 110-120m and I couldn't get a quote under £18k for the borehole alone and ~£25k all in. In the end we opted for a new 32mm supply pipe instead but we only had to go around 100m to the mains (albeit moling under a tarmac road the entire way).

@YeBullen where is your neighbours meter? is it at the mains connection 1km away or closer to your plot?

1 hour ago, bgmill said:

@gc100 £15k for a 280m borehole sounds cheap! Our hydrogeological survey said we should expect 110-120m and I couldn't get a quote under £18k for the borehole alone and ~£25k all in. In the end we opted for a new 32mm supply pipe instead but we only had to go around 100m to the mains (albeit moling under a tarmac road the entire way).

@YeBullen where is your neighbours meter? is it at the mains connection 1km away or closer to your plot?

Maybe it was 180m actually on reflection. Highest quote was 28K

I shopped around a lot.