Marks on Patio - Advice

Danny-r

Hi guys,

Wanted to get some opinions on this. Patio installed by new build developers. Recently had a guy around to quote for a new patio to be laid elsewhere on the property. He mentioned that these marks were due to it not being laid properly. They began appearing a few months after we moved in, moved in in August so pretty much during Winter.

We're still within sufficient time period to raise the issue with the developers, but I'm wondering what people on here think before I tackle them.

I initially just assumed this was normal until he made the comment. I've attached the picture.20210917_140100.thumb.jpg.47afacb694a8fecc1885108e0f516672.jpg

Difficult to say from one picture, but I cant really see a problem other than colour change.

This could be changes in the concrete mix, and will wear off.

I have found slab layers to be among the most opinionated of trades, and seldom right. He may be trying to show what an expert he is, and pitch for relaying these too.

If you can describe the issue more it might help.

I think you're probably right. 

It's the colour change that he was talking about. On some slabs it's looking streaky, some the colour change is more of a circle in the middle of the slab. I assumed it was just what happens with this type of patio which was why I wanted to double check what he said. I don't really have an issue with it, I accept the patio for what it is, it was more of a, if it was indicative of an issue with how it was laid then I'd flag it up with the developer. He seemed to think it was indicative of not being put on a probably prepared sublayer.

13 minutes ago, nod said:

The bed that they are laid on has bled through The backs should have been sealed with SBR 

Does that mean that it's been laid incorrectly? I'm expecting some resistance if this is an issue caused by the developer just throwing it down.

I run a tiling company and we seal the backs of anything that doesn’t have a glaze on Especially outside 

If your builder is serious They can easily establish weather the stain is on the surface or bled through Take one up and cut it in half The stain will run through like tree rings 

These are heavy duty plain council slabs by the looks, so I cant say it would worry me aesthetically, as long as they are laid solidly.

To see outdoor slabs done properly watch municipal work in a Spanish city. 200 good sub-base, 200 reinforced concrete slab, sand bed then slabs with a marble facing. Doesn't budge.

Watch it with a cerveza and charge it to R and D.

Just now, saveasteading said:

These are heavy duty plain council slabs by the looks, so I cant say it would worry me aesthetically, as long as they are laid solidly.

To see outdoor slabs done properly watch municipal work in a Spanish city. 200 good sub-base, 200 reinforced concrete slab, sand bed then slabs with a marble facing. Doesn't budge.

Watch it with a cerveza and charge it to R and D.

I agree in regards to looks. They weren't my choice and laid by the developer.