Genius! Or possibly not..

puntloos

3 hours ago, puntloos said:

A toilet door swinging out into the hallway isn't always ideal. How about this:

I suspect it's not ideal for wheelchair users, but you can put drawers under the toilet for shoes! It's great!

Doesn't it just move that drawer space/cupboard from upstairs to downstairs? Or do you loose headroom in the WC?

Edited by Temp

5 hours ago, Temp said:

Doesn't it just move that drawer space/cupboard from upstairs to downstairs? Or do you loose headroom in the WC?

Yes, given our ceiling height is 2m70 we do have *some* room to play with. Indeed the WC ceiling would be low..

Anyway I'm not yet seriously debating it - I found it a somewhat intruiging thought but it feels too over-engineered for a small gain

9 hours ago, puntloos said:

A toilet door swinging out into the hallway isn't always ideal

There is no such thing as a bad idea......we say to clients.

Admirable off-the-wall thinking. 

What is the problem with the toilet onto the ground floor, other than losing those floor-level cupboards?

50 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

There is no such thing as a bad idea......we say to clients.

Admirable off-the-wall thinking. 

What is the problem with the toilet onto the ground floor, other than losing those floor-level cupboards?

There's somewhat larger context which is that we want a small wardrobe near the entrance, for shoes and coats. Currently our design is this: 

123326288_ScreenShot2021-09-17at14_12_35.thumb.jpg.a5aef709885571e455beb5ed6620c30f.jpg

If the toilet wall could have a pull-out seat, shoe storage and a few coathooks then we don't need the large piece of dressing area furniture on the left

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/09/2021 at 07:21, Temp said:

There are some rules in the building regs about doors opening onto landings. The landing must be a certain size unless it's just a cupboard door.

Some places might view a WC up stairs as not providing a WC on a principal living level - Although I think this is more a Scottish reg along with future proofing a space for a shower.

On 17/09/2021 at 14:14, puntloos said:

There's somewhat larger context which is that we want a small wardrobe near the entrance, for shoes and coats. Currently our design is this: 

123326288_ScreenShot2021-09-17at14_12_35.thumb.jpg.a5aef709885571e455beb5ed6620c30f.jpg

If the toilet wall could have a pull-out seat, shoe storage and a few coathooks then we don't need the large piece of dressing area furniture on the left

If you move the tall unit to the wall then it's going to look much less bulky. It's a really nice entrance hall, plenty of space. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ProDave said:

This is what I built next to the front door.  the middle section is a seat to sit on to put on your shoes.

coat_shoe_rack.thumb.jpg.1052b015d09266edac3d608915544b32.jpg

Yep that's roughly our plan. You have a LOT of storage there though, we were thinking of going a lot more spartan. Per person 2 pairs of current shoes, 1 coat and a few 'grab n go' things (umbrella, hat, gloves, hand sanitizer) and that's it?

19 hours ago, oldkettle said:

If you move the tall unit to the wall then it's going to look much less bulky. It's a really nice entrance hall, plenty of space. 

Was gong to say exactly the same thing. Put the tall unit in the corner where it is out of your eyeliner as you come through the door.

The tall unit also looks very narrow, you'd only get a few coats in it.

On 17/09/2021 at 03:43, puntloos said:

A toilet door swinging out into the hallway isn't always ideal. How about this:

toiletidea.thumb.jpg.ad53b5199c7229f126fc9469dbebd31a.jpg

I suspect it's not ideal for wheelchair users, but you can put drawers under the toilet for shoes! It's great!

This whole thing is actually upsetting me to look at.

Those drawers look like someone put the floor through the middle of a door.

They also seem to have cut the WC door at the ceiling height.

9 hours ago, puntloos said:

Yep that's roughly our plan. You have a LOT of storage there though, we were thinking of going a lot more spartan. Per person 2 pairs of current shoes, 1 coat and a few 'grab n go' things (umbrella, hat, gloves, hand sanitizer) and that's it?

That's not all the footwear.  The walking boots and wellies are on a separate rack in the utility room.

2 minutes ago, AliG said:

@ProDave did you make that yourself from furniture board?

Our builders did our coat cupboard in MDF and I feel like redoing it as it looks cheap.

If it was a kit you managed to buy can you point me to where you got it please

I have been struggling to get any decent furniture board, everything now seems to be very thinly covered and almost see through so I have turned to MDF painted with 2-pack car paint and the finish is far superior.

It’s all down to surface prep and sealing the edges prior to painting

5 minutes ago, AliG said:

I am very torn as it does the job and I don't want to spend thousands of pounds on a coat cupboard. It hasn't actually been painted yet as I am undecided if it is staying.

Do you like the design? Unfinished MDF is drab. If it works for you and is reasonably well built then it can be finished and look amazing, much cheaper and easier than starting again.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, AliG said:

@ProDave did you make that yourself from furniture board?

Our builders did our coat cupboard in MDF and I feel like redoing it as it looks cheap.

If it was a kit you managed to buy can you point me to where you got it please

Yes just cheap chipboard furniture board from the orange DIY shop, in glorious pretend (plastic picture) Oak.

The shoe and coat rails are standard chrome oval wardrobe rail and associated brackets.

• Thanks 1

I will have another look now you have me thinking about it.

One small thing that irks me is I didn't specify hanging rails so the builders bought ones that attach to the underside of the shelf and not the walls. I just find them odd.

It is also a non standard size which doesn't help in doing something else.

The other wardrobe shelves are also MDF but painted and don't look great. Maybe I should watch some YouTubes on painting MDF.

BTW these jobs will need to wait until I am finished my airtightness work. I am booking a new test for early November (I have taken way too long to do it)