Sealant and Toilet Holes

Couple of questions:

Our plumber didn't seal round the toilets (they can't be screwed to the floor because of the UFH).  I'm more competent than him to seal round them however I still haven't got round to this. Can anyone advise which sealant I should use? I've got a Screwfix and Toolstation order to put in so I want to get it ordered. Also, is there anything I can get to put in these holes - I presume this is where they would be fixed to the floor normally.

IMG_20210916_214401.thumb.jpg.0c91ad7e431f68e5d52c841475baca1a.jpg

Second question, I don't think our shower is sealed properly as we have noticed a bit of water running out at the bottom. I think there is a bit of a gap in the corner and water is coming  and I'm happy to reseal it all. Should I get rid of the existing? If so what's the best way of getting it up? It is looking a bit grubby/moukdy in places and we haven't used it for a while and I haven't cleaned it because I don't know I'd I should just get it all up and start again (SWMBO and various hair dye things haven't helped). Again, is there a particular sealant I should order?

IMG_20210916_214347.thumb.jpg.80310b315dec5e0cfa4f460cce988345.jpg

dow conning 785 sanitary silicone for the shower.

is your toilet actually fastened to the floor?

you could put some white snap-caps over the holes or just fill them with white silicone, id silicone around the base aswell to stop nasties getting under it and smelling. im surprised they didnt just stick the brackets to the floor with contact adhesive.

get some FUGI silicone smoothing tools if you dont already have some, then you can have beautiful looking silicone 

Edited by gaz_moose

Thanks will look at CT1 or Dow Conning 785. I presume white for dealing shower but would it be clear for sealing round the toilet/floor?

12 hours ago, gaz_moose said:

is your toilet actually fastened to the floor?

No, it hasn't been since last year. Just not got round to doing it and the plumber didn't do it but I didn't trust him to! 

It's a pig getting silicone off to redo, proper hard graft imho. I have a Vitrex, plastic tool, silicone removal kit from SF. Not wonderful but I got there. I coupled it with one of these scrapers, the type that takes non Stanley blades. "Siegen" brand. Used this sparingly and lightly on tiles. Watch the glaze!

1631872896788-100073374.thumb.jpg.f0b1cd9aadfcdf15420c619f5fe52af8.jpg

Got mine from the local motor factors. It's razor sharp and be bloody careful. Tbh I wouldn't go near plastic with it and whatever, be oh so gentle. I also used the silicone removal gel from SF, not bad tbh. 

When I'd gotten as much off as I could I used CT1 Multisolve, let it work in as per the instructions, repeat. The cleaner you get it the less little bits will show in your eventual silicone.

With the shower I'd get all the old off. Multisolve again, then pump clear CT1 into the gap and baby wipe flush. Once dry go over with a white silicone of your choice that can be periodically renewed. Be careful where you silicone. There's a good few threads on here about sealing shower screens and instead blocking drainage channels that are meant to be kept open. 

With the pan then clear CT1 would, 100%, stuck it down to the tiles with no screws. Multisolve bottom of the pan and tiles. A good bead of clear CT1 between the two and lower the pan onto it, don't smear! Again wipe the excess off with baby wipes. Walk away and sh!t somewhere else for 36hrs whilst it goes off. 

For the white silicone thereafter I've been really impressed with Forever White by Everbuild. Does what it says and hasn't gone mouldy anywhere in my wetroom corner / around the bath. 

Seal the pan holes with it and a bead around where the pan sits on the tiles. +1 on the Fugi Cramer tool kit, it's mustard. 

Do not use white CT1 anywhere on show. Has a bit of a thing for going cloudy / yellow.

Use clear CT1.

There is a new ish "BT1" from C-Tec, the makers of CT1. Meant for bathrooms etc and supposedly mould resistant. I did use it once recently on a rental pan and in all honesty it's been spot on.

I Iike however, the idea of separate adhesive and periodically renewable over silicone.

35 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Be careful where you silicone. There's a good few threads on here about sealing shower screens and instead blocking drainage channels that are meant to be kept open. 

Ooer I need to find these threads about where I should be sealing so I don't caus

Yes I need to be super careful getting off the existing as it's on the tray and showerwall and I don't want to scratch it so I'll probably not use any blade.

So clear CT1 to seal around loo but in the shower a white which can be Dow Conning 785, Forever White or BT1 or similar.

I've ordered the Fugi kit, I aren't too bad at using silicone but anything that helps is a bonus!

I prefer Forever white silicone sealant. Never white ct1.

Not keen on clear around the wc, would prefer white. If you are doing all siliconing you could use a coloured ct1 in grey and hich would be bombproof, but take a long time and a lot of patience/skill to apply

This is a useful thing for removing stubborn old silicone https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-sealant-remover-100ml/88987

The toilet floor fixing kit will have come with caps to cover those holes which can be siliconed in place.

55 minutes ago, canalsiderenovation said:

I've ordered the Fugi kit, I aren't too bad at using silicone but anything that helps is a bonus!

Honestly it's amazing. What I found was to have a black sack folded back on itself and open, like half height. Grab a bog roll and have a pile of torn off 2 sheets. As you take off the excess with your Fugi tool, grab a bit of roll, wipe the tool and drop the messy bit straight in the bin.

Good luck with 3 way corners, they're a bitch! ?

59 minutes ago, canalsiderenovation said:

So clear CT1 to seal around loo but in the shower a white which can be Dow Conning 785, Forever White or BT1 or similar.

No I'm saying don't use BT1 for a start as it's an all in one and won't be so easy to periodically refresh.

Use clear CT1 to seal between pan and floor not around the pan. Let it set, i.e to glue the pan down then seal around the pan with Forever White or the Dow if you prefer as the cosmetic. In this case the CT1 is acting as a bloody good adhesive.

With the shower, and it depends on your detail, I'm saying use the CT1 as a waterproof sealer in gaps where you think water is getting. Go over the top with Forever / Dow as the "cosmetic" finish. 

I learnt a lot from this:

• Like 1

Aim for nothing bigger than a 5mm silicone bead if you can. Not always possible. The Fugi tools have it stamped on them. 

Do some practice runs on an internal corner made from scrap etc:

20190209_193938

In all honesty I did mine with a generic, looks like a Fugi tool but wasn't and ripped it all out when the good folk here pointed me at the Fugi kit. A revelation!

20190214_171557

20190218_201706

Thanks really helpful I'll get stuff ordered.

When you say clear CT1 to seal between pan and floor and then seal around the pan with the white do you mean the white goes over the top once the clear has dried? 

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

Use clear CT1 to seal between pan and floor not around the pan. Let it set, i.e to glue the pan down then seal around the pan

@bassanclan thanks for the link to silicone remover. That will help me get the existing stuff out without damaging things. I'll see if I can buy another toilet fixing kit as we don't seem to have one and just use the caps.

18 minutes ago, canalsiderenovation said:

When you say clear CT1 to seal between pan and floor and then seal around the pan with the white do you mean the white goes over the top once the clear has dried? 

Exactly that. Clean everything. I assume the pan is having to stay in place? 

Lever it up a bit and sit on some say 10mm if possible, packs, mind fingers! Clean under the pan edge as best with Multisolve and the tiles. Gun in the CT1. Remove packs and let the pan sit down into the CT1. Don't move it anymore. Baby wipe off the excess from pan and tiles, use a bit of Multisolve to help. 

Walk away, don't touch, don't FFS sit!

A day and half later come back. Clean again with Multisolve and run a nice white bead of your chosen cosmetic silicone around where the pan meets the floor and tool off with the appropriate Fugi tool. Have your open bin bag and bits of big roll at the ready.

• Like 1

Don't know how clear this is but this is my sink pedestal. I had to use like a 10/12mm Fugi tool. The pedestal casting was so badly made there was a 1/4" gap one side. Done in Forever White from memory:

20190310_133434

Edited by Onoff
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Temp said:

With some WC pans there is space for a block of wood/WBP under the pan. We glued this to the floor and screwed the pan down into that to avoid any risk to the UFH.

I routed my UFH deliberately to miss where the pan was going to screw down to. Then decided to go for a wall hung WC which made it a bit of a moot point. 

• Like 1