Installing windows with straps, renovation

Linto

Hi, I'm looking at installing aluclad windows and just wondering if they all need straps when installing them rather than fixing them through the frame? I know rationel ones do.

As they will be replacing existing uPVC ones will I need to remove all of the existing plaster and cills for the straps then make good again after if we go for these? Or is there another way to do this?

Highly unlikely brackets will be supplied with the windows but worth checking whichever supplier it is.

https://www.framefix.co.uk/brackets/window-fixing-brackets/ you can buy different types of brackets here for different systems. I tend to buy all our brackets (commercial projects) from https://windowfixingbrackets.co.uk/ with a 10mm crank and 170mm length. 

We always recommend bracket fixing when possible to do so.

Edited by craig

I've been installing my aluminium windows from Origin and had to specify I wanted to use straps, and they sent a load out with each window.

And yes, if installing with straps you'll have to take back the reveal and make good after.

12 hours ago, Linto said:

Cheers for the advice everyone, I'll get thinking about how to best take the reveal plaster off. I guess it would be a good opportunity to fit cavity closers if they haven't already.

Chisel attachment on an SDS is how I removed the plaster off mine.

And yes gives you the opportunity to fit cavity closers.

Are you going to be positioning the windows in the current position (presumably in-line with the cavity) or moving forward into the future EWI layer?

If you're moving out into the EWI layer, how will you protect the window before the EWI is installed?

I'm doing the same and can't decide whether its worth positioning the frame in the EWI layer now to avoid having to move them later.

I'm moving the windows forward to the edge of the existing wall, then I'll look to slightly overlap the ewi and use these to manage the joint.

That in my mind will minimise thermal bridging. Ideally I'd move them into the ewi but it looks like there maybe a bigger gap than I'd like between windows installed and ewi going on.

Definitely brackets; you don't really want to be damaging the factory finish on the frames.  Mine were Rationel, purchased separately.  You just need to be a bit careful if your tolerances are tight; I ended up hammering the crank out of the brackets as it was putting too much pressure on the jambs and bowing them in slightly overnight....